View Single Post
(#16)
Old
Unsaved trash
Under Investigation

Stormblade is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.Stormblade is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.
Default Re: A Christian alternative to "Dungeons and Dragons"? - 08-07-2009, 05:19 AM

While D&D may be considered a gateway to the occult, I think it is the nature of the individual that predisposes him or her to seeking out more occult-based knowledge. Sure, D&D contains descriptions of demons, but these are presented mainly as foes for the player characters to defeat. For spells, the instruction amounts to rolling a die and seeing the result if the die roll is a success or failure. I doubt that information can be used to cast a real spell.

In 4th edition, worship of the evil gods is not detailed in the Player's Handbook (the book players use to create their characters), as players are encouraged to worship nonevil gods, and worship of evil gods is generally only for villains who are to be defeated by the players. Furthermore, 3rd and 4th editions have encouraged players to avoid evil alignments entirely. This may have to do with D&D coming under fire due to some of the crimes committed by players who wanted to act out evil in real life.

D&D is just a roleplaying game. If a person roleplays an evil D&D character and decides to do something evil in real life, that person is likely to have had mental issues prior to starting D&D. I don't think the actions of a few socially maladjusted teens should prevent True Christian gamers from enjoying a D&D campaign, especially if they can do so without compromising their faith.