View Single Post
(#49)
Old
Unsaved trash
Under Investigation

RealistChristian is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Down syndrome is a lifestyle choice! - 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm very sorry for having this as my first post, but I really wanted to get my view out here. I wanted to quickly say something about this topic.

Down syndrome is caused by a person having one more chromosome than they should. Most people have 46 chromosomes (22 pairs of autosomes and 1 pair of 'sex' chromosomes), and that was almost doubtlessly the way God made us. However, people with Down Syndrome have three copies of chromosome 21, when unaffected people have only two. They are born with this third copy of the chromosome. I won't get into how they have this third copy, it's quite technical.

People with Down Syndrome are born with this third copy of chromosome 21, and that effects their body and mind immensely. The Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of normal children is generally around 100, whereas in children afflicted with Down Syndrome it is usually in the vicinity of 50. It also effects their body and growth in the way that gives them their well-known facial traits.
In 100% of cases, the condition results in mental retardation and stunted growth. This is all because of the third copy of chromosome 21. I'll let you know that I've worked with children with Down Syndrome, and that they are the most sensitive and loving children I have ever met. It is an (at the moment) incurable biological fault in their systems, and in no way a choice. Unlike homosexuals, they actually are born with this. There is no cure for it at the moment.

Again, Down Syndrome is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 21, a completely unchangeable fault that they had no choice in doing. It happens in the earliest stages of a life; conception and post-conception development. They are still people, however, and deserve to be loved just as much as anybody else.

Thanks for reading, I just wanted to get this point across. Keep loving Jesus and helping the world. Thanks.