View Single Post
(#456)
Old
Unsaved trash
Under Investigation

Jeffrey is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: Science proves that black people look like apes. - 07-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim Pendergast View Post
Did you read the thread Mrs Etheldreda linked to? Because it's not "our link"; it's Scripture. You're effectively saying, "According to the Bible you believe Christians should only love other Christians, but this is contradicts the Bible." But there are no contradictions in the Bible, only paradoxes.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus quotes several Old Testament passages and adds a "but" to them. For example:

Mat 5:21-22a Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: BUT I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:

Mat 5:27-28 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: BUT I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mat 5:31-32a It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: BUT I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery:

Mat 5:33-34a Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: BUT I say unto you, Swear not at all;

Mat 5:38-39a Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: BUT I say unto you, That ye resist not evil:

Following the same formula, Jesus says:

Mat 5:43-44 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. BUT I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

He was referring to Leviticus 19:18. Here's the verse in context.

Lev 19:17-18 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.

Jesus Himself confirms that it was understood to mean "love your neighbor; hate your enemy." But He adds a "but" to His Father's Spirit-inspired Word. Now Jesus's teaching in no way contradicts the Old Testament. He makes that clear at the beginning of His sermon.

Mat 5:17-20
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

He then proceeds to add "buts" to Old Testament laws. If you think this in any way makes God's Word contradictory, or if you can't understand it or reconcile it, then you are the one with the problem. I'm praying for God to open your eyes to understanding.
In Matthew 5, Jesus is contrasting the old covenant with the new covenant. The old covenant (eye for an eye, judgement, etc.) was fulfilled in Christ when he bore our punishment. Now we live in the new covenant, (love and grace). Now it is possible to love our enemies because Jesus took the punishment that we all deserve.

Matthew 5:43-48
You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Also, you ignored all of the white supremacist things that people are saying here.