View Single Post
(#55)
Old
Unsaved trash
Under Investigation

HWright is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: BAN DIABLO 3: The most SATANIC, SEX-POSITIVE game EVER! - 10-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Hello everyone. I just want to start out and say that I am indeed not in alignment with the majority of what this forum stands for. I would not call myself a Christian or religious and I figured it's easier for everyone if my position is clear from the start. I am not here to spur anger or resentment however. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or challenge their spiritual beliefs, whatever they may be.

I am just genuinely curious about the ideology behind posts such as these. I am a 23 year old college student majoring in the management of information systems at my local university. I go to class (most of the time), go out with friends on weekends, and play games such as Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, and the soon to be released game Diablo 3 in my spare time. (i.e. the standardized western world would probably assign me the quality of "normal.")

Anyway, my question is: at what point does a digital game such as this cease to be a logical collection of algorithms and "crosses over" into what you all deem immoral/bad/etc?

At its core, games such as these are nothing...and I literally mean nothing but billions of one-state values. Most people represent them as 0 (for no value) and 1 (for some form of value). This is all a computer is: a manipulation of these values in a certain order thus outputting further values that are, at the end of a very complex process, outputted to your monitor as various points of light on your computer screen. The very screen you are looking at now contains thousands of these points called "pixels."

So, does any of that in and of itself seem evil to you? Can a serious of 0s and 1s in-and-of-themselves be immoral? Diablo 2 and other such games, at there core, are 0s and 1s - that's it. So when, exactly do the 0s and 1s go amiss? I would propose that it is only through the human interpretation of these values that you or I could deem anything immoral. In other words, in an absolute state things nothing can be immoral (in regards to a computer system, but I also believe this applies the universe as a whole.) In our own consciousness we (subjectively) add meaning to the output of a strictly logic-based machine and therefore, I feel, that posts such as these are erroneous. The statement "The video game Diablo is evil" is false (to me) because it states an absolute value based on nothing but subjective interpretation on a serious of "ons" and "offs." The accurate statement would simply be: "I believe the video game Diablo 2 is evil."

That's my view on the resistance toward these games as shown in this thread. I encourage healthy criticism toward this point and hope you see my post not as a direct attack on your beliefs, but simply an individual's (my) view that the majority of people in this thread do not wholly understand a situation before you judge it as one of two things: good or bad. This applies to everyone, religious and non-religious alike. We love to take something and separate it from the whole, giving it a label - as if we can ever separate anything other than our own thoughts toward an entity.