Go Back   The Landover Baptist Church Forum > Bible Study > Bible in a Year
Reload this Page Day 339: Philippians 1-4
Bible in a Year KJV with Brother V

(#1)
Old
Visiting Pastor of Theology
True Christian™

Heaven Bound Ready for the Rapture Protected by JESUS

Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.
Bible Day 339: Philippians 1-4 - 11-23-2016, 10:32 PM

Chapter 1

The letter begins with Paul and Timotheus sending their greetings (Phil 1:1-2), but Paul doesn't wait long to switch to the singular person (Phil 1:3). Paul thanks God every time he thinks of us and he prays for us (Phil 1:3-5). Paul is sure that True Christians™ will remain being True Christians™ until Jesus comes back (1 Phil 1:6)Paul loves us very much (Phil 1:7) and he misses us:

Philippians 1:8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.

Paul prays that we'll grow in our love, faith, knowledge, and good judgment (Phil 1:9-11). The fact that Paul's been imprisoned is good for Christianity, since having a martyr makes other faithful even ore vociferous (Phil 1:12-14).

But - beware of false Christians who preach for the wrong reasons:

Philippians 1:15-16
15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

It's absolutely disgusting, but there are some people who hate Jesus so much that they preach out of envy, strife, and contention. Today we have a name for these filthy individuals - these are the fluffy-bunny false Christians who cherry pick the Bible the way they want it to be instead of reading and following it as it is.

But then again, there are those who preach out of love (Phil 1:17). One way or another, name recognition is a good thing, all publicity is good publicity:

Philippians 1:
18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

So even the fluffy bunny false Christians contribute to Paul's own salvation (Phil 1:19).

Without a hint of sinful pride, Paul knows he's absolutely perfect:

Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

He's fine with either living or dying (Phil 1:21-23), but we True Christians™ will benefit more if he's alive (Phil 1:24), so Paul will go on for us (Phil 1:25-26). He wants us to be proud Christians and to accept persecution (Phil 1:27-30).

Chapter 2

Yes we can make Paul happy: by being good True Christians™ (Phil 2:1-5). That's what Jesus wants, too, and we owe Him because He died for us for 1 and a 1/2 day (Phil 2:6-11).

We need to fear for our own Salvation:

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

God does what He pleases with us:

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Which is why True Christians obey without complaining (Phil 2:14), that's what makes us blameless (Phil 2:15).

Paul will be sacrificed for us (and he says it in a way which doesn't make a comparison with Jesus' suffering at all, that'd be blasphemy, Phil 2:16-17):

Philippians 2:
17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.

And we should be happy with Paul (Phil 2:18). Jesus will send us Timotheus who will comfort us in Paul's absence (Phil 2:19-23), and Paul hopes to follow soon (Phil 2:24), but in the meantime he also sent Epaphoroditus to help us (Phil 2:25-30)

Chapter 3

Paul hates to reproach us but he's doing it for our won good (Phil 3:1-2). The evildoers are trying to suggest that Christians should be circumcised; this is not what Jesus wants (Phil 3:3-4). Paul was circumcised and he used to persecute Christians, until he found Jesus (Phil 3:5-12). Paul is still striving to be perfect (Phil 3:13) and we should as well (Phil 3:14-16), as Paul's followers:

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

False Christians will burn in Hell (Phil 3:18-19), while we'll be resurrected (Phil 3:20-21).

Chapter 4

True Christians™ should help each other (Phil 4:1-3), and rejoice, but in moderation (Phil 4:4-5), thankful to God for everything (Phil 4:6), and Jesus will give us peace of heart (Phil 4:7). We need to do good (Phil 4:8), using Paul as our modest, humble, yet absolutely perfect role model:

Philippians 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Paul is happy and strong with Jesus' help (Phil 4:10-13). The recipients of this letter are the only Christians who really care (Phil 4:14-16). It's not that Paul really wants to receive gifts, but yeah, keep them coming (Phil 4:17-18). God will repay those who give charitably (Phil 4:19).

The letter ends with greetings in the name of Jesus (Phil 4:20-23).