Go Back   The Landover Baptist Church Forum > Bible Study > Bible in a Year
Reload this Page Day 343: 1 Timothy 1-3
Bible in a Year KJV with Brother V

(#1)
Old
Visiting Pastor of Theology
True Christian™

Heaven Bound Ready for the Rapture Protected by JESUS

Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.Martin J. Godeberht has bribed people to get these reputation points.
Bible Day 343: 1 Timothy 1-3 - 11-28-2016, 04:20 AM

Chapter 1

Paul starts with greetings (1 Tim 1:1-2), but quickly goes down to business: there's trouble with some false teachings (1 Tim 1:3).

If you ever wondered why the genealogies of Jesus in Luke and Matthew don't add up - and why do they end with Joseph who had no blood relation to Jesus whatsoever, and yet are used as Jesus' genealogies - STOP. You're wasting your time:

1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

Instead of wasting your time thinking too much, do something useful, such as charity (1 Tim 1:5). Overthinking the logic of genealogies and such is van, mindless babbling (1 Tim 1:6) by people who pretend to know what they're talking about (1 Tim 1:7).

We know that the Law of the Bible is good - because the Bible tells us so.

1 Timothy 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

Now, if everybody was perfect, we wouldn't need the law - because everybody would be behaving well anyway. However, it is because of the sinners (ranging from murderers to homosexuals) that the Law has to exist and be obeyed:

1 Timothy 1:9-10
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

And that's why we need the Gospel the way Paul understands it:

1 Timothy 1:11-12
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

Paul used to be a sinner, but he was forgiven because he didn't know what he was doing (1 Tim 1:13). Jesus' love saves all sinners who are willing to be saved (1 Tim 1:14-15). Paul was saved because it takes a thief to catch a thief - so Paul as an ex-sinner is the best bet to catch other sinners (1 Tim 1:16), all for glory of God (1 Tim 1:17). Now Paul wants the recipient of this letter (Timothy, and by extension, all of us) to keep on fighting to spread the Good News (1 Tim 1:18). Don't became shipwrecks destined to eternal damnation like these two:

1 Tim 1:19-20
19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

In other words, stay within the party line or Paul will gift-wrap you and give to Satan as a Christmas present.

Chapter 2

This chapter concentrates on two issues: the importance of prayer and the importance of keeping women subjugated.

Prayer is the answer to everything. God loves a good prayer, and we should both ask for stuff but also give thanks:

1 Timothy 2:1-2
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Have you thanked God for our President Donald Trump today? If not yet, this is the perfect time for you to do so. I'll wait.

This is what Jesus wants (1 Tim 2:3-4). After all, there's only One God and one mediator between men and God: Jesus Christ (1 Tim 2:5-6).

We can trust Paul - he reassures us he cannot lie:

1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Who wouldn't trust a person who gives us reassurances like that?!
Back to the subject of prayer. Men everywhere need to be praying lifting up their holy hands (1 Tim 2:8).

Now we're moving on from the subject of prayer to the always important subject of keeping women in line. Women need to wear modest clothing and not braid their hair (1 Tim 2:9), act decently (1 Tim 2:10), but most important, know their place in society, which is always beneath men:

1 Timothy 2:11-14
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

The good news is, that even these lowly inferior creatures can be saved:

1 Tim 2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Chapter 3

After dealing with these lowly creatures known as women, Paul moves on to describing perfect Church officials.

First up, bishops (1 Tim 3:1), who have to be blameless and married:

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

The list of bishop qualities continues (1 Tim 3:3-7). One of these qualities is the ability to subjugate his own family - because a guy who cannot control his wife and brats cannot control the congregation, either:

1 Timothy 3:4-5
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
The deacons need to hold similar qualities as bishops (1 Tim 3:8-13). Again, their wives need to know how to behave, too:

1 Timothy 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

While Paul hopes to visit soon (1 Tim 3:14), he writes these things so we know how to behave ourselves (1 Tim 3:15-16).
To be continued...