• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Writer falsely Called Fat, Plain, Brilliant

From the Desk of
    GRANNY JUNE
    Office Temp and #1 Volunteer for Christ

NEWSFLASH: swirling upset in book circles bcause 1 paper slandered [my favorite] lady authoress . I am putting donation jar on my desk on Monday so it can be corrected – Thornbirds my #1 fave book and this is slap in face to all beloved readers.

Classy Australian Obituary Calls ‘Thorn Birds’ Author Fat, Ugly, National Treasure

So here’s a tip for obituary writers: If you’re writing a big piece on one of your country’s most famous writers, and it’s going to run under the headline “A TRUE NATIONAL TREASURE,” you just might not want to lead off your remembrance by calling said author a plain-looking fatty:

That’s how Rupert Murdoch’s paper The Australian remembered Colleen McCullough, author of the ultrasupermega bestseller The Thorn Birds and arguably Australia’s best-known writer (go ahead, try to name another Australian novelist), who died this week.

After all, if you’re going to memorialize a much-loved lady writer, the main thing you want to focus on is her dress size. Oh, and then eventually you can get to the stuff about her successful career as a neuroscientist and how she started writing novels at 40, managed an international best-seller with her second book, and was incidentally named one of Australia’s “100 National Living Treasures.”

"I did not realize that this was how we were doing obituary ledes, now," The Washington Post wrote. "Now that I know, here are some obituaries for men, updated lest we fall behind the new standard. Teddy Roosevelt: Resembling a fat walrus in little spectacles, he was, nevertheless, president at one point or another."

Re: Australian Writer falsely Called Fat, Plain, Brilliant

No scripture?
    And read the Bible, not that secularist rubbish
    And when you're not reading the Bible, you should be working on cleaning up that backlog.
    sigpic

Comment

From the Desk of
      GRANNY JUNE
      Office Temp and #1 Volunteer for Christ

Originally posted by Jim Farmer View Post

No scripture?
      You been against me from day1 prolly because you were one of Miss Cookie's favorites well she is gone now. As they say: "Cookie isn't here Mrs. Torrance"

but I hope this makes you happy think about it

(insert scripture here)

Proverbs 31:10 virtuous woman...her price is above rubies.

And when you're not reading the Bible, you should be working on cleaning up that backlog.
      Because I am older than you doesn't mean i am incontenent stop spreading your rumors

Comment

Get back to work woman!
        No more about secular movies, OK?
        One of these days, Cookie will be back, and I don't think she will be happy.
        And don't leave those used incontinence diapers in her desk!
        sigpic

Comment

Dearest Granny,

While I appreciate your advanced age and pray for a rapid cure for your advancing senility, I must also warn you against this fictional story 'Thorn Birds'. Obviously, I had NEVER heard of it before but I've now used many hours investigating the matter. It turns out the book was based on a television series about papism.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. It could be most useful to discuss papist viles in the open, although very little could be actually shown visually, as it would be bad taste to show hours and hours of catamite rape in prime time TV. And, frankly, what else is there in papism? Oh yes, idolatry!

Leviticus 19:4
          Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.

The cast. Mediocre. The male protagonist is played by Neville Chamberlain. He was usually quite unsuccessful in his attempts.

The plot. Unconvincing. A papist priest who becomes a papist cardinal loves a girl (did they really think anyone would buy this). They fornicate and produce a possessed baby. Later the papist dies while the woman gives him oral gratification.

The hidden message. Papist men are supposedly real men with natural urges. This is poorly hidden propaganda. Exactly the thing that allures elderly less educated women. They think that a good enough woman can heal a papist to become straight. Only Jesus can do that mediated by a True Christian™ baptist pastor. While the mission of a woman to cure papist homers is laudable, it inevitably leads to fornication. Jesus weeps.

Matthew 10:8
          Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Verily, the Bible is much more exciting than this travesty of a critical discussion about papism!

Judges 16:1
          Then went Samson to Gaza, and saw there an harlot, and went in unto her.

Yours in Christ,

Elmer
          2 Kings 18:25 - Am I now come up without the LORD against this place to destroy it? The LORD said to me, Go up against this land, and destroy it.

PREPARE YOURSELF TO RAPTURE WITH THIS MANUAL!
          Check out our Research in Creation Science:

Comment

Also, that actor who played the priest - I forget his name, Richard Something-or-other - is of the homer persuasion.
            Vaccinated by the love of Jesus!!!

Comment

Every time I see this thread title, I'm reminded of someone. Well not the Australian bit, not the writer bit, and definitely not the brilliant bit. Now, I wonder who that might be?
              sigpic

Comment

Granny, if you're in the market for a good story, might I suggest a wholesome one like Hogwarts School of Prayer and Miracles? I like it because it redeems Satan's favorite literature and turns the tables on his lies and brings souls to Christ instead.

Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

Comment

When my servants want a book other than the King James Bible to fill their shallow minds, especially a soppy romance, I insist that all the crappy fiction they read is endorsed with

At least, with that, there is less chance of corrupting their minds.
                  sigpic

Comment

This Thorn Birds business sounds like garbage.

There is one, and exactly one, work of fiction that's come out of Australia that is worth experiencing.

I like it because it depicts a future in which there are no taxes and no burdensome government regulations getting in the way of how people live their lives and run their small businesses.

Kind of gives you something to hope for.
                    WARNING:
                    In accordance with article 7 of the Swaggart Amendment to the Landover Baptist Church Constitution, you are hereby notified that this forum user is a
                    REGISTERED SPIRITUAL PREDATOR, and prohibited from sending or receiving personal messages, text messages, or instant messages to forum users below the rank of True Christian™. This user is further prohibited from engaging with any persons in real-time audio or video "chats" via Web cams, Skype, Facetime, or any other Internet audio/video technology or service.

Comment

Working...
                    X