X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ezekiel Bathfire
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post
    I have also corrwected again my location,
    Originally posted by Elmer G. White View Post
    Dear Sinner,

    There is no need to shout.
    Brother Elmer,

    Note Trevor's earlier post. I think he may have a speech impediment and is a little embarrassed. He could be deaf. People who are deaf often speak strangely.

    Trevor,

    I think you show some promise as far as becoming a Christian is concerned. Please do not take Brother Elmer's words too hard.

    I will pray for you tonight, and ask that God might banish the demons of disability from your soul.
    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post
    I appreciate the sincerity of your pronouncement. I appeal to a higher authority.
    To be frank, at the moment, I don't think you do. But, as I say, there is hope. Mr Swallows seems to be guiding you well - read, mark and inwardly digest his words.

    Leave a comment:


  • Alan Swallows
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Australia

    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post
    I do not accept what I consider the extreme of double predestination, that some are predestined from eternity to salvation, and the vast majority are predestined to damnation and burning in hell for eternity.
    Just think about what you're saying. Is there any alternative beside heaven or hell? If God has chosen some to be saved, He has as good as chosen everyone else to go to hell. Even if what you're saying is true, which it's not (see verses below).

    Romans 9:10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
    Romans 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth
    Romans 9:12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
    Romans 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

    Romans 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

    Romans 9:22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
    Romans 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory.

    Proverbs 16:4 The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.


    The God I serve is the God that calls ALL to respond to His Love.
    Matthew 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elmer G. White
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post


    My Location is: Lake Macquarie, NSW, Ausralia


    Dear Sinner,

    There is no need to shout. However, your orthography is most confusing. Where exactly is "Ausralia"? "Aus" is the Austrian preposition that means "from" in American."Ralia" or "se ralia" seems to be Romanian (papist language?) for "to rally".

    "From rallying" something? Whither from thence? I'm afraid you make no sense, dear friend. Of course, that is the burden all humans bear.

    Genesis 11:7

    Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.



    Yours in Christ,

    Elmer

    Leave a comment:


  • TrevorL
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    I do not take kindly to the latest description on my Avatar.

    I have also corrected again my location, as it has been interfered with by someone with Administrative ability to alter the User CP details

    My Location is: Lake Macquarie, NSW, Ausralia


    I made a spelling mistake in my previous post, now adjusted.

    The Avatar Picture is not the Picture that I submitted on my User CP.

    Is this treatment the policy of this forum?

    Leave a comment:


  • TrevorL
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    I do not take kindly to the latest description on my Avatar.

    I have also corrwected again my location, as it has been interfered with by someone with Administrative ability to alter the User CP details

    My Location is: Lake Macquarie, NSW, Ausralia

    Leave a comment:


  • TrevorL
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Australia

    Greetings again Alan and Greetings Basilissa, plus additional comments to Pastor Ezekiel on his “sermon”,

    Originally posted by Alan Swallows View Post
    I'm actually not going to play games with you, Trevor. You've flat-out denied what God's word says.
    I was not trying to play games, but this was the basis for an exercise that a group of 10 senior brethren and sisters did when we were discussing the life of Abraham. The subject of some of the archaic words in the KJV was mentioned, and the group was asked to look up Jeremiah 6:11 and Psalm 48:12 and to discuss the meaning of the words abroad and tell in those verses. The general consensus was that “abroad” could represent overseas, and “tell” meant describe or similar, and both of these descriptions are in line with modern usage. The problem with both of these words in these contexts is that the context may help, but does NOT really fix the true meaning of the words.

    We then went back to our main subject, the life of Abraham, and looked at a well-known verse where both the words “tell” and “abroad” are used, but here the context does help us to fix the meaning of the words.
    Genesis 15:5-6 (KJV): 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
    Here “abroad” means outside the tent and in an open space, while “tell” and “number” are both the same Hebrew word and means count as rendered in most newer translations.

    Thus looking again at Jeremiah 6:11 “abroad” can be understood as “outside”, or “in the streets”, and in Psalm 48:12 “tell” can be understood as “count”. Most modern translations agree with these more modern usage of the words, while the KJV “abroad” and “tell” can be considered to be Old English.

    Perhaps you could first tell me what words like "he hardened Pharaoh's heart" and "he hath blinded their eyes and hardened their heart" mean without looking up a reference book.
    I still regard the hardening of hearts is a gradual process and Matthew’s rendition helps to understand this concept..
    Romans 9 makes God's choice sound pretty arbitrary.
    Answer me this: if everyone is born evil (Psalm 51:5) and incapable of doing good (Jeremiah 13:23), how can God's choice be anything other than arbitrary? He can't make a choice based on any good qualities we possess because according to the Bible, we don't have any.
    I do not accept what I consider the extreme of double predestination, that some are predestined from eternity to salvation, and the vast majority are predestined to damnation and burning in hell for eternity, despite anything they are able to respond to, in response to the preaching of the gospel and the humbling circumstances of life. As I said before, this is not the God I serve and love.

    The God I serve is the God that calls ALL to respond to His Love:
    John 3:14-17 (KJV): 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Originally posted by Basilissa View Post
    I have a question: why do you think that reference books are necessary?
    They are not necessary, but they are helpful. Strong’s and Englishman’s and possibly other resources would have solved the “Abroad” and “Tell” question reasonably fast and accurately.
    I don't know what Bible you read, dear, but my KJV is written in plain, easy to understand language. Also, you need to remember that reference books were written by people with their own agendas, who want you to understand the Bible the way they choose, instead of what it really says.
    Yes I mostly use the KJV, but in a few days I will have finished reading the OT once and NT twice over 3 years using an Interlinear RV/KJV, and this has helped me to appreciate the limitations of both the RV and the KJV. All reference books need to be used with caution to avoid any bias. We have been given some ability to discern this.

    Pastor Ezekiel, I have read your thread (“sermon”) again. The following is the heading, and the first sentence:
    Originally posted by Pastor Ezekiel View Post
    Seven easy ways to tell the True Bible from the false ones
    You don't need to be a scholar to tell which Bible is the true one.
    I consider that “True” Bible and “false” ones, and “which Bible is the true one” is a false premise. I was encouraged that another Pastor on this forum prefers the KJV, but is not KJV only:
    Originally posted by Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson View Post
    Look up the following verses for me in the NIV, please.
    {Then follows a list of relevant verses, and most probably I would agree with the KJV of most}
    I rest my case.
    If the KJV is imperfect, the NIV is a travesty.
    Originally posted by Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson View Post
    I'm not a KJV only advocate. I'm a KJV primacy advocate. It's still the best. It's infinitely superior to the NIV still to this day.
    I might let you slide on the NASB, but the NIV is an abomination.
    Kind regards
    Trevor

    2 Peter 1:20-21 (NKJV): 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation (mg or origin), 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

    2 Peter 1:20-21 (NET): 20 Above all, you do well if you recognize this: No prophecy of scripture ever comes about by the prophet’s own imagination, 21 for no prophecy was ever borne of human impulse; rather, men carried along by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.


    NET Bible Translator’s Note: The γάρ (gar) at the beginning of v. 21 gives the basis for the truth of the proposition in v. 20. The connection that makes the most satisfactory sense is that prophets did not invent their own prophecies (v. 20), for their impulse for prophesying came from God (v. 21).

    2 Peter 1:20-21 (WBC): 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture derives from the prophet’s own interpretation, 21because prophecy never came by the impulse of man, but men impelled by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

    A text without a context is a pretext.

    Leave a comment:


  • Basilissa
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Australia

    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post
    I suggest then that you are the poorer for not using reference books. I suggest that if you are new that you should find out, and not press a narrow view on a new comer as myself. We all have our pet theories, but we should try to play a harmony, not pluck one string all the time. Possibly it is not the official line of the church but Pastor Ezekiel is one advocate. Perhaps he could enlighten us if the door is shut to those who use other Bibles in conjunction with the KJV to help understand some verses and words, and also use some reference books such as Strong’s and Englishman’s for a start. I could list a few others that are helpful. Maybe only “Unsaved Trash” use reference books.
    I have a question: why do you think that reference books are necessary? Do you believe in a God who inspired the Bible writers' to compose the Good Life Manual in a language akin to the US tax code - so obscure that it cannot be understood without the help of reference books, a dictionary, and a professional accountant?

    That would be a rather cruel God, don't you think?

    I don't know what Bible you read, dear, but my KJV is written in plain, easy to understand language.

    Also, you need to remember that reference books were written by people with their own agendas, who want you to understand the Bible the way they choose, instead of what it really says.

    Leave a comment:


  • Alan Swallows
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Australia

    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post
    You may like to answer the following exercise as well as Alan WITHOUT using any reference books or other Bible translations.

    What is the meaning of the two words “abroad” and “tell” in the following:
    Jeremiah 6:11 (KJV): Therefore I am full of the fury of the LORD; I am weary with holding in: I will pour it out upon the children abroad, and upon the assembly of young men together: for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days.
    Psalm 48:12 (KJV): Walk about Zion, and go round about her: tell the towers thereof.
    I'm actually not going to play games with you, Trevor. You've flat-out denied what God's word says. Perhaps you could first tell me what words like "he hardened Pharaoh's heart" and "he hath blinded their eyes and hardened their heart" mean without looking up a reference book.

    One thing you said earlier caught my eye just now, though.

    Because the Bible in a year comments on Isaiah 6 expressed similar sentiments to what you have now stated, that God arbitrarily blinds and then punishes certain individuals. This is not the God I worship.
    Romans 9 makes God's choice sound pretty arbitrary.

    Romans 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
    Romans 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
    Romans 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
    Answer me this: if everyone is born evil (Psalm 51:5) and incapable of doing good (Jeremiah 13:23), how can God's choice be anything other than arbitrary? He can't make a choice based on any good qualities we possess because according to the Bible, we don't have any.

    Leave a comment:


  • TrevorL
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Australia

    Greetings again Trevor (I Man Rastafari), Pastor Ezekiel, Alan and Ezekiel Bathfire,

    Originally posted by I Man Rastafari View Post
    It is your friend Trevor from Jamaica. The King James Bible is the very word of Jah without any changes. Other versions have subtle changes and are not suitable. This King James Version was first ordered by King James of Scotland and England who was a Black man. You may not believe that King James was a Black man but it is on YouTube so you know it must be true. Also these Caucasians are not Calvinists. They are Baptists.
    You may like to consider the early history of the Anabaptists, the General Baptists and the Particular Baptists. I am not sure what the Baptists believe today, but I assume there is a range of opinions. You may like to answer the following exercise as well as Alan WITHOUT using any reference books or other Bible translations.

    What is the meaning of the two words “abroad” and “tell” in the following:
    Jeremiah 6:11 (KJV): Therefore I am full of the fury of the LORD; I am weary with holding in: I will pour it out upon the children abroad, and upon the assembly of young men together: for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days.
    Psalm 48:12 (KJV): Walk about Zion, and go round about her: tell the towers thereof.


    Originally posted by Pastor Ezekiel View Post
    Hello Bruce;
    A few of my mates are called Bruce, but you seem to be confused. Possibly you are referring to the title that someone has recently added to my Avatar, and it may not be appropriate (Bruce Lee? – I am not that active) even though it might have been meant to “lighten” things. Someone also altered my personal profile with an inappropriate comment, but I was able to delete this. I hope it does not occur again. What security do you have on this forum or is this part of the Administrative policy?

    Also I may accept the title “Unsaved trash”, and you may like to leave that title in position if you know that I suffer from partial autism and ATD, and have had two severe schizophrenic episodes 30 years ago and suffer and struggle to maintain balance. But I think your label may give some indication of the character of this forum. One of these days you may offend someone, and the Landover Baptist Church is not the sole arbiter of who is or who is not saved. I think we need to be careful of how we deal with the Holy Things as per example of Nadad and Abihu, and Uzziah.
    Please have the courtesy to read the sermon that I left you the link for above. You sound like a very confused person, and I'd like to help set you straight.
    Yes I previously read your article and agreed with much of what you stated. As this is the Introduction Forum I did not think I would be allowed to respond in detail as yet. Also I have two books on the subject, and recently my 2nd cousin wrote a series of 4 articles to a magazine, and he strongly recommended the KJV.

    I have also briefly alluded to the Bible in a Year forum, and especially Day 202 Isaiah 4-6. I consider the concluding comments to be speaking evil of Jesus and the Father, but no one has commented upon this or corrected this in the Last Six Years. Perhaps this is another indication of the character of this Forum, and possibly this is sufficient for me to leave before I am banned. Also I find some of your icons offensive young man and some of your elders in your church should suggest a better course.

    Originally posted by Alan Swallows View Post
    I use the 1611 KJV, and no I don't use reference books.
    I can't say what the official position of the Landover Baptist Church is as I am also new.
    I suggest then that you are the poorer for not using reference books. I suggest that if you are new that you should find out, and not press a narrow view on a new comer as myself. We all have our pet theories, but we should try to play a harmony, not pluck one string all the time. Possibly it is not the official line of the church but Pastor Ezekiel is one advocate. Perhaps he could enlighten us if the door is shut to those who use other Bibles in conjunction with the KJV to help understand some verses and words, and also use some reference books such as Strong’s and Englishman’s for a start. I could list a few others that are helpful. Maybe only “Unsaved Trash” use reference books.
    You're the one who brought up Isaiah 6 and Romans 8 and then you get upset when people point out what they actually say.
    I have many things that I could discuss on Isaiah 6 and Romans 8, but this is the Introduction Forum. Perhaps you missed why I really mentioned Romans 7 and 8 in the first place, but one forum member possibly accepted what I suggested as he did not further respond.

    Originally posted by Ezekiel Bathfire View Post
    I now know that you have created your own god and worship yourself.

    My friend, you are damned.
    I appreciate the sincerity of your pronouncement. I appeal to a higher authority.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

    2 Peter 1:20-21 (NKJV): 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation (mg or origin), 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
    2 Peter 1:20-21 (NET): 20 Above all, you do well if you recognize this: No prophecy of scripture ever comes about by the prophet’s own imagination, 21 for no prophecy was ever borne of human impulse; rather, men carried along by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.


    NET Bible Translator’s Note: The γάρ (gar) at the beginning of v. 21 gives the basis for the truth of the proposition in v. 20. The connection that makes the most satisfactory sense is that prophets did not invent their own prophecies (v. 20), for their impulse for prophesying came from God (v. 21).

    Leave a comment:


  • Ezekiel Bathfire
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Australia

    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post
    I believe in God the Father, and I also believe that the hardening of Pharaoh’s heart was a gradual process, not a direct infusion.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

    2 Peter 1:20-21 (NKJV): 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation (mg or origin), 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
    That's really convenient that you believe that, isn't it? Why, it is almost as if you knew The Mind of God... In fact, it is almost as if you have created your own god - who is very similar to you and has beliefs the same as yours... and are worshiping him.

    The Exodus passage speaks of what God has done - He does things instantly. The 2 Peter passage speaks of what men should not do.

    2 Peter is not very convenient for people like you who worship a god made in their own image, is it?

    The essence of being a Christian is to follow the teaching. If God hardened Pharaoh's heart one second before he started to thnk... that is good enough for me.

    Ex:7:13: And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.

    It doesn't seem to any reasonable person that God did this over the years. God did it for one particular reason: a reason that had not occurred before.

    I now know that you have created your own god and worship yourself.

    My friend, you are damned.

    Leave a comment:


  • Alan Swallows
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    Originally posted by I Man Rastafari View Post
    Greetings again Trevor. It is your friend Trevor from Jamaica. The King James Bible is the very word of Jah without any changes. Other versions have subtle changes and are not suitable. This King James Version was first ordered by King James of Scotland and England who was a Black man. You may not believe that King James was a Black man but it is on YouTube so you know it must be true. Also these Caucasians are not Calvinists. They are Baptists.
    I heard a rumor you guys add to God's pure word with your "Holy Piby."

    Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

    Leave a comment:


  • Alan Swallows
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    Originally posted by TrevorL View Post
    Is this forum exclusively for KJV only adherents?
    In the thread **"Noobs" please read this before posting.** SERIOUSLY! you'll find this post:
    We also believe that the King James Bible is the only accurate English translation of God's Word. It is the only English language Bible based on the Textus Receptus. All others are based on the Alexandrian Manuscripts and the Latin Vulgate.
    Do you use the 1611 version or the later KJV amended versions of 1616, or 1638, or 1762? Do you use reference books to check some of the words such as “tell” and “abroad”?
    I use the 1611 KJV, and no I don't use reference books.

    God’s word is the original word spoken and/or written by the prophets, Jesus and the apostles. The KJV has its limitations.
    This site has some helpful answers to some common questions about the KJV such as:


    What is your opinion of Tyndale’s translation of Exodus 3:14 in the future tense? What is your understanding of the word “churches” in the KJV rendition of Acts 19:37? What churches existed in Ephesus at that time? Do you prefer the translation “congregation” used by Tyndale in the following, or the KJV “church”?
    Revelation 2:1 (Tyndale): Unto the messenger of the congregacion of Ephesus wryte: These thynges sayth he that holdeth the vii. starres in his right honde and walketh in the myddes of the vii. golden candlestyckes.
    I don't trust the Tyndale. It's an outdated and inaccurate version.

    Is this forum mainly some form of extreme Calvinism?
    I can't say what the official position of the Landover Baptist Church is as I am also new. I'm not endorsing a particular doctrine, I'm only endorsing the Bible. However, even your beloved Romans 8 speaks of predestination.

    Romans 8:28-30: 28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
    I guess you could say these verses are the turning point of chapter 8 and then it flows into Romans 9, which contains many gems.

    Romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
    Romans 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
    Romans 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
    Romans 9:9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.
    Romans 9:10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
    Romans 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth
    Romans 9:12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
    Romans 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
    Romans 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
    Romans 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
    Romans 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
    Romans 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
    Romans 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
    Romans 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
    Romans 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
    Romans 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
    Romans 9:22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
    Romans 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
    Romans 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
    You're the one who brought up Isaiah 6 and Romans 8 and then you get upset when people point out what they actually say.

    I also believe that the hardening of Pharaoh’s heart was a gradual process, not a direct infusion.
    I suppose it would be too much to hope you have a Scriptural basis for this, given that God hardened Pharaoh's heart right from Moses' first miracle, which brother Bathfire mentioned.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pastor Ezekiel
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    Originally posted by Pastor Ezekiel View Post

    By the way, you might be interested in taking a look at my Sermon on how one can tell which is the one TRUE Word of God. You will find it HERE.
    Hello Bruce;

    Please have the courtesy to read the sermon that I left you the link for above. You sound like a very confused person, and I'd like to help set you straight.

    YIC,

    --Pastor Ezekiel

    Leave a comment:


  • I Man Rastafari
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Austria

    Greetings again Trevor. It is your friend Trevor from Jamaica. The King James Bible is the very word of Jah without any changes. Other versions have subtle changes and are not suitable. This King James Version was first ordered by King James of Scotland and England who was a Black man. You may not believe that King James was a Black man but it is on YouTube so you know it must be true. Also these Caucasians are not Calvinists. They are Baptists.

    Leave a comment:


  • TrevorL
    replied
    Re: Greetings from Australia

    Greetings again Alan and Greetings Ezekiel Bathfire,

    Originally posted by Alan Swallows View Post
    The Christian's choice of Bible translation doesn't depend on what makes you "not happy." The RV is based on different texts than the KJV. Textual criticism is another slippery slope.
    Is this forum exclusively for KJV only adherents? I dislike the NT RV for the same reason, my respect for the KJV MSS used, rather than those of the RV. The OT portion of the RV is not based on different texts

    Who are we to question what should be in God's word? It's better simply to accept that the translators of the KJV got it 100% right 400 years ago based on the limited manuscripts available to them back then.
    I suggest that it is simplistic to claim that the KJV 1611 is God’s word in an absolute sense. God’s word is the original word spoken and/or written by the prophets, Jesus and the apostles. The KJV has its limitations. Do you use the 1611 version or the later KJV amended versions of 1616, or 1638, or 1762? Do you use reference books to check some of the words such as “tell” and “abroad”?

    What is your opinion of Tyndale’s translation of Exodus 3:14 in the future tense? What is your understanding of the word “churches” in the KJV rendition of Acts 19:37? What churches existed in Ephesus at that time? Do you prefer the translation “congregation” used by Tyndale in the following, or the KJV “church”?
    Revelation 2:1 (Tyndale): Unto the messenger of the congregacion of Ephesus wryte: These thynges sayth he that holdeth the vii. starres in his right honde and walketh in the myddes of the vii. golden candlestyckes.

    I endorse some of the comments of Dr. Ginsburg, a principal Hebraist on the panel for the OT portion of the RV.
    “With regard to the Revised Version of thirty years ago, it is important to distinguish between the Old and the New Testaments, which were prepared by a different set of translators. As regards the Old Testament, with which alone I had to deal, the most scrupulous care was taken not to alter anything unnecessarily. Respect for the text on which the mind of the nation had been nurtured for so many generations was our guiding principle. It was otherwise with the New Testament, and it is that part of the work which alone in my opinion justifies the strictures of those who say that unnecessary alterations of a trifling character were introduced.

    “The English Bible is undoubtedly the most important work that has ever issued from the press in this country. Its influence on men’s minds and on our literature has been tremendous. At the same time it is quite possible to exaggerate the merits of King James’s translators. Undoubtedly they were scholars. The Hebrew language was well understood by those who made a special study of it in the seventeenth century. The basis of their text was the great Hebrew Bible, which was edited by Jacob ben Chajin, and published in 1524–25 by Bomberg, a German savant who established a printing press in Venice. That is also the foundation of all subsequent Hebrew editions, including my own.

    “With regard to the translators of the Authorised Version, of course they had not the same materials that are within reach of the modern editors, and, moreover, their standard of accuracy was not so high as is that of scholars of the present day, for you must remember that in the seventeenth century the science of philology could not be said to exist.

    “The fact is that while they undoubtedly went to the original Hebrew, as I have said, they really corrected earlier English versions. The majestic English of the Authorised Version is really that of earlier workers in the same field. We really owe our English Bible in all its essentials to Tyndale and Coverdale. Tyndale’s Bible, as completed by Matthew, appeared more than 70 years before King James’s version. Another version which was extremely popular, and which was in all important respects very similar to the Authorised Version, was published in 1560 by English refugees in Geneva, and is therefore called the Geneva Bible. Still, after making all allowances, the Authorised Version is undoubtedly one of the most interesting books in the world.”
    What about the flow from Romans 8 to Romans 9, which is about God's sovereignty, i.e. how God hates some babies before they're born (Romans 9:13) and hardens people's hearts (Romans 9:18)?
    Which brings us back to the topic of Isaiah 6.
    Preaching only caused some of the blindness.
    Is this forum mainly some form of extreme Calvinism?

    Parables are by nature obscure, they have a hidden meaning. Jesus only revealed the meaning of His parables to His disciples (Mark 4:13-20). Jesus Himself says He preached in parables so that "them that are without" wouldn't understand. Read the verses above. They are very clear.
    The meaning of the Parable of the Sower is now clearly revealed in the gospels if we have humble hearts to understand.

    Originally posted by Ezekiel Bathfire View Post
    Ex:7:13: And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.
    Ex:7:14: And the LORD said unto Moses, Pharaoh's heart is hardened, he refuseth to let the people go.


    Just remind us what happened next... and in your explanation, you might mention why you do not believe in God The Father.
    I believe in God the Father, and I also believe that the hardening of Pharaoh’s heart was a gradual process, not a direct infusion.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

    2 Peter 1:20-21 (NKJV): 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation (mg or origin), 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

    Leave a comment:

Working...