Originally posted by StarrKingGrad
View Post
X
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
There are no contradictions in the Bible friend. Were do you get such an odd idea?
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
Interesting. Here are a couple of verses from the OT that I'd like to explore:Originally posted by Pastor Billy-Reuben View PostSome of the OT laws were explicitly abrogated in the NT, such as those that required circumcision or forbid working on the Sabbath, for example. All OT laws that were not specifically repealed in the NT are still in effect.
Leviticus 20:10: And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
Leviticus 20:9: For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
Have either of these laws been abrogated in the NT?
If not, is there any Biblical context that I did not quote that explains or modifies or limits either of these two verses in any way?
This is pretty important, since, after you convert me, I would hate to stone someone under circumstances that called for a lesser punishment, or none at all.
Yes, it is most informative. Another point of agreement--I, too, believe that everyone should study Holy Scripture.We have a Bible in a Year forum now, and we should get to Colossians sometime this summer.
I confess that I have some doubts about how widespread the practice is at Landover, but I believe you are speaking from the heart, Pastor Billy-Reuben. If ever you should decide to leave the Baptist Church, you have within you the makings of a fine Unitarian....I am very familiar with Colossians, as I am with the rest of the Bible. We at Landover take the passage you mentioned to heart... Finally, if we didn't love you, we wouldn't keep trying to get you saved, friend.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
I see you're as anti-diversity as the bigots of the NAACP or La Raza.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostBased on the way your avatar is dressed, what you refer to as sodomy is obviously more within your bailiwick than it is within mine. But you should be proud of your non-traditional sexuality, Joshua. Don't let these True Pastors or whatever they call themselves make you feel ashamed of your sexual feelings for other men. They aren't wrong, they aren't evil, they are just the way God made you. That, in a nutshell, is all the wisdom I can dispense to you on the topic of homoerotic love.
Joshua is SCOTTISH, and dressed in traditional Scottish formalwear. It's called a kilt.
Congratulations on fulfilling my expectations, and being unable to write a single post that was not filled with insults against God's people.
There's no game here, little boy. And if you are here to argue that God's Word is not God's Word, you are only wasting your breath.Of course, if you're worried that I might convince a few lurkers that there is a positive, life-affirming religious path that does not discount science or differences of opinion or human feelings or ambiguities in sacred texts or plain common sense, you might as well shut this thread down now, because, if God has a plan for me, that's it.
So, to return to the topic at hand, if you do not believe that every word of the KJV 1611 Bible is literally and unambiguously true, now is the time to speak up.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
That is the least of my worries, friend.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostOf course, if you're worried that I might convince a few lurkers that there is a positive, life-affirming religious path that does not discount science or differences of opinion or human feelings or ambiguities in sacred texts or plain common sense, you might as well shut this thread down now, because, if God has a plan for me, that's it.
I believe every word of the KJV 1611 Bible is literally and unambiguously true. The King James Bible is God's Word to English speaking people.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostSo, to return to the topic at hand, if you do not believe that every word of the KJV 1611 Bible is literally and unambiguously true, now is the time to speak up.
Pastor Billy-Reuben
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
Based on the way your avatar is dressed, what you refer to as sodomy is obviously more within your bailiwick than it is within mine. But you should be proud of your non-traditional sexuality, Joshua. Don't let these True Pastors or whatever they call themselves make you feel ashamed of your sexual feelings for other men. They aren't wrong, they aren't evil, they are just the way God made you. That, in a nutshell, is all the wisdom I can dispense to you on the topic of homoerotic love.Originally posted by Joshua View PostWhy haven't you answered our questions about the sodomites?
As for the repetition, I just want to be sure that nobody accuses me of misquoting you when we get to the point in this discussion where you will explain to me, and to the other unsaved trash who read this thread, why the many contradictions in the Bible are not contradictions at all. I simply don't want to hear in post 927 of this thread that some of Jesus's words may have been altered in transcription or translation. Best to clear up the ambiguities from the get-go, especially given the tendency in your forums toward stream of consciousness as a rhetorical device.
In truth, I am your best friend, since you can cover a lot more Biblical ground answering my questions than you can arguing with adolescent boys about the philosophical underpinnings of Super Mario Brothers, even if most of you are too dense to see it. Whatever your game, you guys really ought to work out some ground rules for how you deal with different kinds of posters.
Of course, if you're worried that I might convince a few lurkers that there is a positive, life-affirming religious path that does not discount science or differences of opinion or human feelings or ambiguities in sacred texts or plain common sense, you might as well shut this thread down now, because, if God has a plan for me, that's it.
So, to return to the topic at hand, if you do not believe that every word of the KJV 1611 Bible is literally and unambiguously true, now is the time to speak up.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
Addendum no in festinatio:
Holy bowtie macaroni, StarrKingGrad, I looked into one topic on the BeliefNet forum. The particular thread I happened on was all about how people were finding themselves in Wicca and Satanism and paganism and "Buhdism" (sic! sic! sic! Two d's and the h comes AFTER!). BeliefNet? LooseSuperstitionNet!
Geez. Are there any serious threads on the forum or are they all for kids?
~~ OEJ
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
Of course not. Some of the OT laws were explicitly abrogated in the NT, such as those that required circumcision or forbid working on the Sabbath, for example. All OT laws that were not specifically repealed in the NT are still in effect.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostJust so I'm clear on this, you are saying every single Old Testament law is binding in its entirety on all Christians today, without exception, right?
I believe we had one on an earlier version of the forum, but that is not still up. We have a Bible in a Year forum now, and we should get to Colossians sometime this summer.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostAre you familiar with Colossians 3:8-14? If so, what does it mean to you? Has that ever been a topic of a Landover forum discussion?
But to answer your earlier question, yes, I am very familiar with Colossians, as I am with the rest of the Bible. We at Landover take the passage you mentioned to heart. We never speak with anger, wrath, malice, evil, or filth-talking. We don't lie or act like our old selves before we got saved. We believe that all people can become saved, no matter what color they are, how bad they smell, or how ugly they are.
Finally, if we didn't love you, we wouldn't keep trying to get you saved, friend.
Pastor Billy-ReubenLast edited by Pastor Billy-Reuben; 01-25-2008, 03:05 AM. Reason: Added link to Bible in a Year forum
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
StarrKingGrad, perhaps you have come to Landover to mock fundamentalist Christianity. To slyly imply that Bible literalists are not merely woefully misguided cretins but also opposed to enlightened humanism, predisposed to authoritarian theocracy, and are moral cripples who have traded rational thought for UNTHINKING BELIEF!
Well, as the Good Book says:
And Huzzab shall be led away captive, she shall be brought up, and her maids shall lead her as with the voice of doves, tabering upon their breasts. Nahum 2:7
Be not like Huzzab! And be not like her handmaidens! Taber not upon your breast with rhythms syncopated and satirical.
Mock not, lest God find you a mockernut.
Interesting word, mockernut. The mockernut hickory grows up to 80 feet tall; it received its name because its fruit -- a nut -- has a very thick rind but a very small kernel. Metaphorically it is like unto certain humans: thick-skulled but with only a tiny brain.
(No, I was not thinking of Bush supporters when I wrote that. Bush is God's Own President, he said so himself.)
I see I am in my cups. Alas.
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities. 1 Timothy 5:23
Or, in my case perhaps, a couple of 20-oz cans of Black Ice Malt Liquor ("the brand with added grain alcohol for that extra-smooth intoxication").
Alright, I will mince no more words. The Christian Right supposes -- CORRECTLY -- that the Bible mandates an absolutist religion and an authoritarian theocracy. Since the Enlightenment the foundational assumptions of Christianity has been selectively ignored. In America, however, Christian fundamentalists are no longer ignoring the dominionist mandate. And they have made good progress in getting their people into the mainstream of government. In seizing the high places of power.
This is what they write:
So let us mince no more words. Mince may be marvellous, but words make a poor porridge. Are you with us or against us? Do you stand against Christian totalitarianism, or are you in sympathy with it?Those who are obedient to His commands will rule the world, reconstructing it for His glory in terms of His laws. Psalm 2 shows God laughing and sneering at the pitiful attempts of the wicked to fight against and overthrow His Kingdom....He has, in fact, warned all earthly rulers to submit to His government, or perish (Ps. 2:10-12). And the same is true of His Church. The nation that will not serve us will perish (Isa. 60:12); all the peoples of the earth will be subdued under our feet (Ps. 47:1-3)--promises made originally to Israel, but now to be fulfilled in the New Israel, the Church.
David Chilton, The Days of Vengeance: An Exposition of the Book of Revelation (Ft. Worth, TX: Dominion Press, 1984), p. 117. (emphasis added)
And, if you are not in sympathy with it, have you come here to mock it?
~~ OEJ
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
I assure you friend I am more moral fiber that two shredded wheats.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostI appreciate your fastidious adherence to the Bible's sartorial ordinances. It is obvious that you are truly a man of the cloth. However, I'm more concerned with moral fiber than I am with the composition of your dungarees and shirts.
Just so I'm clear on this, you are saying every single Old Testament law is binding in its entirety on all Christians today, without exception, right? I'm sorry to be repetitive (especially after I have criticized the wordiness of Landover), but it seems to me that this point is the lynchpin of all that separates your doctrine from that of most other Christian denominations. I want to be sure that our discussion rests on a firm foundation.
Except were Jesus teachings modify it friend and of course as Romans reminds us were prohibited by secular law. That is why for instance we do not stone sinners as God directs, due to oppressive, anti-Christian secular law we are commanded to obey.
The KJV1611 is the true Bible, translated into English by God using the committee as human pens. The other Bibles are false with their source in Satan since they are based on a version of The Bible found in the trash in an Egyptian monastery. The word of the all-knowing, all-powerful God is not lost in the trash or distorted by mere mortal men.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostNow that you've set me straight with respect to the moral authority of Jesus, perhaps you could enlighten me as to your views of the Apostles and the KJV translation committee. Is every word in the 1611 King James Version of the New Testament absolutely and literally true, or are the Gospels and other writings merely the work of fallible men that might contain misstatements or misquotations?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
When people take LSD and have demons appear to them, the demons often say such things "Moral Educator," instead to "Son Of God" when trying to gain their confidence. The LSD you have taken has confused you to no end. Every Unitarian takes LSD every dayOriginally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostHi, everyone. I'm a recently ordained Unitarian Universalist minister. One of my parishoners, who, in tears, pointed me to this site as an example of a few bad apples spoiling all that is good and bountiful that the Lord has given to us. To tell the truth, I think maybe she understated the case, but I don't think tears (honest expression of a valid emotion though they certainly were) are the right answer. Truth comes only from understanding and openness and charity toward those who harbor a different viewpoint.
One thing that strikes me as funny right off the bat is the way you seem to revel in negativity. If your only point is that there are cruelties and contradictions in the Bible, you won't get an argument from me. I have studied the Bible, along with Scriptures from many world religions. I find something good, something useful in my quest for spiritual development, in all of them, but they were written by men (and, in a few cases, by women). Mankind does err, and mankind does sin, so it's not surprising to see that reflected in holy writings. There's a lot more to God than stonings and historical inaccuracies in a book, though.
If you really want to bring others closer to the God that is inside all of us, I don't see how it helps your cause to insult a highly moral man like the Catholic priest Father Martin or to call everyone who disagrees with you a homosexual (I'm not a Catholic or a homosexual, but I wouldn't take it as an insult if you said that I were).
So I'd like to take the high road and look for some common ground with the Baptistry of Landover. Let's start here: I believe that Jesus Christ was a great moral teacher, in fact, the greatest moral educator ever. Do you agree?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
In case you missed it, we have all been saying the same thing to you. We believe in every single utterance. Why haven't you answered our questions about the sodomites?Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View PostFinally, an answer to my question. There is at least one Evangelist at Landover, after all. You do think that the teachings of Jesus are a necessary component to leading a moral life. Hallelujah, we agree on at least one thing.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
Indeed I do. As for the questions of the athiests and Bible believers, they are good questions (though some seem a bit irreverant). I invite the athiests and Bible believers alike to visit our discussion forums and ask away--or, better yet, to stop by any Unitarian Universalist church and experience the joy of a shared, loving, and accepting Spiritual experience firsthand.Originally posted by One-eyed Jack View PostNow then! You are a Unitarian, therefore you have religious beliefs. What might the Atheist and the Bible Believer ask you?
Excellent. I stand corrected.These verses are unambiguous. But God's Law is not meant for Christians, IT IS MEANT FOR MANKIND. It is for God's Kingdom, and all the Earth and all mankind is God's kingdom.
Now that you've set me straight with respect to the moral authority of Jesus, perhaps you could enlighten me as to your views of the Apostles and the KJV translation committee. Is every word in the 1611 King James Version of the New Testament absolutely and literally true, or are the Gospels and other writings merely the work of fallible men that might contain misstatements or misquotations?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
I'm sorry, among your incessant attacks upon my God, my friends, my Church, and my person, I missed any question from you which has not been repeatedly answered.Originally posted by BarrKingMad View PostI'm sorry that, while you were composing the sequel to War and Peace, you forgot to address my question, too. It's a bit surprising, actually, since, unlike Brother Cletus, you seem to have a functioning mind. Have you perchance been taking obfuscation lessons from Ms. Phelps-Dodge? Anyway, why are you so afraid to answer a simple question about your faith? Are you ashamed of the things you believe?
What's your question? Do I think Jesus was a great teacher?
Jesus is God. Jesus is THE Teacher, also THE Father, THE Son, THE Comforter, THE Enforcer of His Law.
Any other questions? And are you able to ask them without stringing together enough insults to decorate your pagan anti-Christmas tree?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
Be that as it may starsinyureyes.... the fact remains that you vilify God when you preach anything other than the word which is HIS WORD...yes all cappy like that so you get the point.Originally posted by StarrKingGrad View Post
(2) Put together a string of insults and pretend that is an answer (Joshua, whom I thought was the dimmest ornament on the Landover Christmas tree, but Brother Cletus just disabused me of that notion).
I'm not here to shine on bub....just here to witness. I'm a humble Scot and all I do is witness. I am not a fancypant razzledazzler type like you who embraces fornicators, sodomites and sododykes and other abominations.
I'll thank you to remember that and I will carry my dim badge quite happily. God shines for me and through me and you should remove those blinders.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Hello From An Unrepentant Unitarian
Um. Let us imagine how an atheist would respond to some of your questions, and contrast that with the way a Bible-believer would answer the same question.
1. Jesus was the greatest moral teacher ever.
Atheist: Nope. Odds are that, unlike Buddha and Mohammad, Jesus never existed. There are no archaeological or contemporary historical records that any such person lived. The earliest Gospels were written when the apostles who supposedly authored them would have been very old men; most were written after the apostles were dead. Jesus was probably a fictional character created over about a century and a half, modeled on the mythos of Dionysus and Osiris. If he was real, there is nothing in his teachings that places him particularly far above Buddha, Mohammad, or Confucius.
Bible Believer: Jesus was the Son of God. He was not a prophet, He was God. He was not a great moral teacher, He was God. Either you believe that, or you believe that Jesus was a megalomaniac and liar because He Himself said in plain words that He was the Son of God, and that He and His Father were One. That is plain Bible truth. A human can either believe it, or he can go to Hell -- and WILL go to Hell, because Jesus said that is the penalty for not believing Him.
2. Do Old Testament laws apply to Christians today?
Atheist: Don't be an silly. The Old Testament is a mishmash of bronze-age history (mostly apocryphal) and superstition. If the author of the Bible were actually an omniscient and eternal Deity He would have told His children something useful, like how to sterilize surgical instruments, cure cancer, and make fusion power a reality. He would have warned us about Hitler and Pol Pot. Instead He saw fit to tell us about King Jehoram's rectal prolapse. Real smart.
Bible Believer: Jesus said, again in plain language, that not one jot nor tittle shall pass from the Law till all is fulfilled. Luke puts it, And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail. Luke 16:17. These verses are unambiguous. But God's Law is not meant for Christians, IT IS MEANT FOR MANKIND. It is for God's Kingdom, and all the Earth and all mankind is God's kingdom.
----The consequences for law of this fact [Shema Israel: Deu 6: 4,5] are total: it means one God, one law. The premise of polytheism is that we live in a multiverse, not a universe, that a variety of law-orders and hence lords exist, and that man cannot therefore be under one law except by virtue of imperialism....The law of Buddhist states is seen as valid for Buddhist nations, the law of Islam for Moslem states, the laws of pragmatism for humanistic states, and the laws of Scripture for Christian states, but none, it is held, have the right to claim that their law represents truth in any absolute sense. This, of course, militates against the Biblical declaration that God's order is absolute and absolutely binding on men and nations.
R.J. Rushdoony, The Institutes of Biblical Law (Nutley, NJ: Craig Press, 1973), p. 17 (emphasis added)
Now then! You are a Unitarian, therefore you have religious beliefs. What might the Atheist and the Bible Believer ask you?
Atheist: How much does the Spirit of Life weigh, what is its energy frequency, and what physical forces does it couple to -- gravitation, electromagnetism, the strong or the weak nuclear forces? If you say it is only "spiritual" and not physical then I challenge you to show that it is anything other than wishful thinking: prove that a Spirit of Life has any existence in the real world.
Bible Believer: Why does Oprah wear those tight dresses? Doesn't she know she's too chubby for them? Oh, and why in the WORLD would anyone listen to what an atheist says? I mean...just open your eyes, and all the world declares God's beautiful love! Yesterday I saw a three-legged dog get hit by a pickup truck, and as I watched it twitching and pooping itself in the ditch this manifestation of God's handiwork filled me with awe. How can an atheist NOT believe in God?
Sincerely,
~~ OEJ
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: