X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies how are you celebrating International Women's Day?

Hopefully you're all out there launching initiatives and feeding starving babies or, if not, then at least baking something nice for your husbands.
    Attached Files
    If I have seen further, it is by standing on the heads of others.

Re: Ladies how are you celebrating International Women's Day?

Ingredients
    4½oz butter, plus extra
    4½oz soft dark brown sugar
    4½oz dark treacle
    4½oz light treacle or maple syrup
    9¾oz self-raising flour
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    4 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground allspice
    4 stem ginger balls (2½oz) in syrup , drained and coarsely grated
    1½ red chillies, seeds removed finely chopped (or several small green)
    7fl oz semi-skimmed milk
    2 large free-range eggs, beaten

Sauce
    3 stem ginger balls (2oz) in syrup, drained
    7fl oz double cream
    3½fl oz dark brown soft sugar
    2½oz butter

Garnish
    well-chilled crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream
    finely grated or pared lime zest

Method
    Preheat the oven to 350˚F
    Butter a 4½ pint shallow ovenproof dish. Put the butter, sugar, treacle and syrup in a medium saucepan. Melt together over a low heat, stirring regularly until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat a little and simmer gently for a minute, stirring. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for five minutes.
    While the butter mixture is cooling, put the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Add the grated ginger and chilli and toss lightly together. Make a well in the centre.
    Stir the milk gradually into the warm treacle mixture and then add the beaten eggs, stirring vigorously. Pour the treacle mixture slowly into the flour mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to form a thick batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake is well risen and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.

While the sponge is cooking, make the toffee sauce. Put the ginger balls on a board and slice thinly. Pile the slices from each ball up and cut through them to make thin matchstick strips. Scrape off the board into a medium non-stick saucepan.

Add the cream, sugar and butter to the stem ginger matchsticks and place the pan over a low heat. Cook together, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring the sauce to a very gentle simmer and cook for 30 seconds more, stirring constantly.

Take the pudding out of the oven and pour the hot sauce over the top, spreading the ginger pieces over the surface with a spoon. Serve topped with well-chilled crème fraîche or scoops of ice cream and a sprinkling of finely grated lime zest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Anthony J. Toole View Post
      Hopefully you're all out there launching initiatives and feeding starving babies or, if not, then at least baking something nice for your husbands.
      I'm looking forward to summer. When I walk around Freehold in summer pies are cooling on open window sills. I know our ladies are making these for their husbands.
      Isaiah 24:1-3 Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty (2)...as the taker of usury, so with the giver of usury to him. (3) The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly spoiled: for the LORD hath spoken his word.

Comment

Originally posted by Johny Joe Hold View Post
        I'm looking forward to summer. When I walk around Freehold in summer pies are cooling on open window sills. I know our ladies are making these for their husbands.
        Mr. Mayor, I share your grievance. When do men get a day to relax and sniff pie without constant nagging to be grateful for something-or-other?
        If I have seen further, it is by standing on the heads of others.

Comment

Working...
        X