X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in need of advice!

I was re-reading my bible today, and I noticed this verse.

1 Corinthians 11:5

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

I was just wondering, should I be praying with my head covered? And for that matter, should I even be cutting my hair?

I'm confused about this, please help!
    Ruth 1:16; Ruth 1:17 : 16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
    17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

Re: I'm in need of advice!

Originally posted by Miss Tanith View Post
    I was re-reading my bible today, and I noticed this verse.

1 Corinthians 11:5

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

I was just wondering, should I be praying with my head covered? And for that matter, should I even be cutting my hair?

I'm confused about this, please help!
    Good question. I am more than happy to answer it.

I Corinthians is one of three responses from Paul to the church at Corinth (we have but two in the Bible - first and second Corinthians). In this letter, Paul addresses various questions, from handling adultery to women's conduct during worship. In vs 2 of chapter 11, he praised the Corinthians for keeping the ordinances as delivered by him, but in vs 3 goes forward to a customary topic.

Beginning at verse 3 and continuing to verse 10, he answers a question of whether or not one's head can be covered (as taught by then-Jewish tradition) when praying, but he concludes it with an acknowledgement of whether or not a covering on a woman is acceptable...

"Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God." (I Cor. 11:13-16)

So this was advice for the time regarding what we at Landover put much emphasis on--the submissiveness of the woman as perceived by the community. It has no practical application today as is - and we don't want to emulate joos - although a woman covered head to toe in humble clothing is never a bad idea.

"But I would have you know. that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (vs 3)

Pastor Ed
    Last edited by Pastor Ed Lowman; 09-09-2013, 09:18 AM. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

Pastor

As a point of clarity, is there a risk that a good Christian woman could be in anyway confused as a muslim woman? I make sure that my wife and daughters are dressed in chaste Godly clothing but I often see muslim woman covered up and am concerned that my family could be mistaken as muslims.

What would you suggest?

Comment

Do your daughters look like this?

[ATTACH]22003[/ATTACH]

If so, they might need some, eh, work.
        Psalm 81:10:
        I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt:
        open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Constantine1648 View Post
          Pastor

As a point of clarity, is there a risk that a good Christian woman could be in anyway confused as a muslim woman? I make sure that my wife and daughters are dressed in chaste Godly clothing but I often see muslim woman covered up and am concerned that my family could be mistaken as muslims.

What would you suggest?
          Originally posted by Wide-Open View Post
          Do your daughters look like this?
          If so, they might need some, eh, work.
          Maybe he's some kind of Amish, they resemble Muslims a lot. I confuse them all the time.

God created fossils to test our faith.

My favorite LBC sermons:
          True Christians are Perfect!
          True Christian™ Love.
          Salvation™ made Easy!
          You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
          Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
          Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
          Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
          Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
          The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
          Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
          God HATES Rational Thinking!
          True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Constantine1648 View Post
            Pastor

What would you suggest?
            Well, we live in a different time than the Corinthians did, and we still have I Thess. 5:22 which tells us to "Abstain from all appearance of evil."

So that is all the more reason to shun old-looking practices that might cause us to resemble some false religionists like joo$, Moose-slums, or Amish blasphemers. But by adorning one's self modestly like the Scripture teaches (I Tim 2:9), one is doing just about all that can be done to look like a humble Christian.

Pastor Ed

Comment

Working...
            X