X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 61. Deuteronomy 31-34

Deuteronomy 31-34

In today's Bible in a Year reading, we conclude Deuteronomy (things). Today's is the end of Moses third sermon. It also marks the end of Moses.

Today we get:
    • Moses appoints his successor
    • Moses sings a song, he sings out loud, he sings out strong
    • Moses blesses the tribes individually
    • Moses dies

Deuteronomy 31

Moses said:

2 And he said unto them, I am an hundred and twenty years old this day; I can no more go out and come in: also the LORD hath said unto me, Thou shalt not go over this Jordan.

He's old, and can't get around very well anymore. He's at least 40 years older than the next nearest person; either Joshua or Caleb. Everyone else who was over 20 has died in the wilderness. So it's Moses at 120. Then Joshua and Caleb; then maybe someone who was 19 before the start of the travels, so 59 at the oldest.

3 The LORD thy God, he will go over before thee, and he will destroy these nations from before thee, and thou shalt possess them: and Joshua, he shall go over before thee, as the LORD hath said.

4 And the LORD shall do unto them as he did to Sihon and to Og, kings of the Amorites, and unto the land of them, whom he destroyed.

Does utterly destroyed mean anything?

5 And the LORD shall give them up before your face, that ye may do unto them according unto all the commandments which I have commanded you.

Kill them all, destroy everything, purify everything with fire or water!

7 And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the LORD hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it.

8 And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Moses said for Joshua to not be afraid of the LORD or other people; but he should probably be afraid of the joos.

Moses tells them that at the feast of tabernacles, they are to read the law; so anyone who was too young the last time, can hear it.

13 And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the LORD your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it.

Maybe if they didn't just have to hear the law once every seven years, they wouldn't forget so often?

14 And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thy days approach that thou must die: call Joshua, and present yourselves in the tabernacle of the congregation, that I may give him a charge. And Moses and Joshua went, and presented themselves in the tabernacle of the congregation.

God tells Moses that it's time for him to die. He tells him that the people will forget about God, and go whoring after other gods. He says He'll be angry, and hide from them.

God tells Joshua to be strong and of good cheer, cuz He'll be with him.

Moses finishes writing the law, gives it to the levites and they put it in the ark.

Deuteronomy 32

Moses sings. More of a non-rhyming poem.

Perhaps we can get Poetic Peter to review Deuteronomy 32.

Mostly the poem is about the people corrupting themselves... go figure.

44 And Moses came and spake all the words of this song in the ears of the people, he, and Hoshea the son of Nun.

Why is Joshua referred to as Hoshea? So far, he's been called, Joshua, Oshua (Num. 13:8), Jehoshua (Num. 13:16) and now Hoshea. How confusing for the lad (who's probably around 60).

God then tells Moses to go up to the mountain to die.

Deuteronomy 33

Moses blesses the tribes.

1. Reuben, let him not die, and let his men not be few.

2. Judah, let his hands be sufficient.

3. Levi, let him be with the holy one.

4. Benjamin, let him dwell in safety.

5. Joseph, let all the blessings be on him, because he was separated from his brothers.

6. Zebulon, let him be blessed in going out.

7. Issachar, let him be blessed in staying in.

8. Gad, blessed be him that helps Gad.

9. Dan, Dan is a lions whelp (I though Judah was the whelp?)

10. Naphtali, let him posses the west and south.

11. Asher, let him be acceptable to his brothers.

12. Wait... where's number 12? Where is the blessing for Simeon? Why didn't Moses bless Simeon?

Deuteronomy 34

1 And Moses went up from the plains of Moab unto the mountain of Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, that is over against Jericho. And the LORD shewed him all the land of Gilead, unto Dan,

How mean is it of God to taunt Moses with showing him the land, without letting him go in.

4 And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.

Well, Moses brought it on himself for hitting the rock twice.

5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.

6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.

Moses, gone, but not forgotten. We just don't know where he is.

7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

Um... Didn't he say in Deuteronomy 31:2, that he had trouble going out and coming in?

8 And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.

It's amazing how Moses wrote about the people weeping for him for 30 days after he died.

9 And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.

So Joshua is the new Moses, I wonder if he was as good as Moses?

10 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,

Nope. Moses (the meek) said no one was as good as him, never will be either.

12 And in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses shewed in the sight of all Israel.

Moses was so great at showing people terror, that they only transgressed God at least 10 times in the wilderness.

So what have we learned today?

1. Simeon gets no blessing from Moses.
    2. Joshua got ANOTHER name.
    3. Even in death, the meek Moses was very, un-meek.

YIC
    V
    Judges 9:21 And Jotham ran away, and fled, and went to Beer, and dwelt there, for fear of Abimelech his brother.

Re: Day 61. Deuteronomy 31-34

Yay, Huzzah, it's Deuter-rooter-Ronomy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Day 61. Deuteronomy 31-34

Originally posted by Brother V View Post
      Where is the blessing for Simeon? Why didn't Moses bless Simeon?
      For the answer to this question, we have to go back to Day 16. Jacob cursed his sons Levi and Simeon for what they did to the people of Hamor and Shechem.

Gen 49:7 Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.

The Levites are already set to be divided and live in the cities belonging to the other tribes. In Joshua 19, Jacob's curse is fulfilled when Simeon is indeed scattered in Israel.

Some secular scholars think that this chapter was written later, after Simeon had already lost its tribal identity, and the blessings merely describe the state of the tribes at the time it was written. Of course, that’s all unfounded conjecture.

Originally posted by Brother V View Post
      It's amazing how Moses wrote about the people weeping for him for 30 days after he died.
      Indeed it is, Brother. Once again, we have proof of the divine authorship of scripture. How else could Moses have described this if God wasn't telling him what to write?

Pastor Billy-Reuben
      Upon request I will cite scripture for all these facts in God's Holy Word.

✝ This is a Christian community and we worship GOD of the Holy bible, the only Living GOD. We worship Jesus Christ, Son of GOD and Savior. Anything else is absurd. ✝
      Trump / Arpaio 2016 -- The Government We Deserve
      #ChristianLivesMatter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X