X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dr Laurence Niles
    Psychotheological Analyst Therapist
     
    • Jan 2012
    • 9063

    #31
    Re: I come in peace let's talk

    Originally posted by Elmer G. White View Post
    Thank you for your question. While it is OK not to mention the particular verses you're referring to, it would be helpful for your interlocutors if you did so, just for future reference. Here are some of the pivotal verses.

    Matthew 27:42
    He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.

    Luke 23:26
    And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus.

    John 19:19
    And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

    Acts 5:30
    The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

    And though you didn't mention Mark, we could assess that one as well:

    Mark 15:30
    Save thyself, and come down from the
    cross.


    At this moment we (unfortunately) have to turn away from the most perfect form of the Bible, the King James Version, and look at the Greek text, the vernacular that the uneducated élite of Jesus's time spoke among themselves. Of particular importance is the word for "tree". We can find it in the Acts verse.

    Πράξεις τῶν Ἀποστόλων 5:30
    ὁ Θεὸς τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ἤγειρεν Ἰησοῦν, ὃν ὑμεῖς διεχειρίσασθε, κρεμάσαντες ἐπὶ
    ξύλου.


    We find the word ξύλου, the genitive neuter singular of the word ξύλον [xýlon] that has the meaning of (dead) tree. So now we know that it refers to processed wood and not a growing, live tree that would have been referred to with the word δένδρον [déndron]. Is this different from the "cross" that appear in the other verses listed? They all derive (different cases but same root) from the word σταυρὸν [staurònm not to be confused with the Sauron cult], a "stake", a "cross". As you can see, it is always a question of "processed wood". The meanings are the same and apparently these verses were transmitted by the Holy Spirit with somewhat different vocabularies for diversity and to keep up the attention of the Unsaved (and it was kept up as we can see based on your nice question).

    The situation is analogous to the one that would take place if you asked what was the difference between "living in a building" and "living is a house". Thank you for your attention. You've now begun your journey into Biblical Studies. 31097 verses to go!


    Yours in Christ,

    Elmer
    This!

    In the same way the younger folks these days refer to paper as ‘a dead tree’.

    This is evidence that Christianity is again on the rise: most likely due to the God appointed rise to prominence of Jesus’ Earthly choice for leader of the free world The Donald!

    YIC
    1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

    Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

    Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

    Comment

    • Dana723
      Forum member
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2017
      • 771

      #32
      Re: I come in peace let's talk

      Wait, is this Cursed Ward Grinch? Under a new name? We can do that?
      Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
      1 Corinthians 11:13

      Comment

      • Didymus Much
        Unsaved trash, Arrogant Atheist Dick
        • Jun 2010
        • 14079

        #33
        Re: I come in peace let's talk

        Originally posted by Dana723 View Post
        Wait, is this Cursed Ward Grinch?...
        Yes.

        ...Under a new name?...
        Yes.

        ...We can do that?
        Yes.

        The fact that it's a bannable offense (covered in the terms of service) and, in certain circumstances, a federal crime in the USA (unauthorized access to a computer system), does not physically preclude you from creating an alternate account.

        Comment

        • Brother Gonzalez
          Another brick in Donald´s wall - A.K.A "The Gonz"
          True Christian™
           
          • Sep 2016
          • 2087

          #34
          Re: I come in peace let's talk

          Originally posted by Dana723 View Post
          Wait, is this Cursed Ward Grinch? Under a new name? We can do that?
          His name is Curtis and he is here now to discuss the Bible. Are you? If so, please ask questions or show your knowledge so we all can benefit.


          Why would you come back with another username?
          1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the TRUMP of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first.

          Comment

          • Vengeance Puriel
            Striving in vain for the good ol' corteous Edwardian grace
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2018
            • 324

            #35
            Re: I come in peace let's talk

            Originally posted by Brother Gonzalez View Post
            His name is Curtis and he is here now to discuss the Bible. Are you? If so, please ask questions or show your knowledge so we all can benefit.


            Why would you come back with another username?
            Like I said I was in the wrong, and I apologise to anyone and everyone, and I'm here to learn from you the right way I truly come in peace.
            -Ps 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
            -Ps 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
            -James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

            Comment

            • Thomas Taylor
              Forum Member
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012
              • 1486

              #36
              Re: I come in peace let's talk

              Originally posted by Vengeance Puriel View Post
              Like I said I was in the wrong, and I apologise to anyone and everyone, and I'm here to learn from you the right way I truly come in peace.
              Dear Curtis,


              From the continuous espousement of your apologies and your begging for forgiveness, I see that you may have actually realised the error of your ways. It reminds me of a verse from Lamentations 3 in which God tells us of how a man who, having been totally and completely broken down by God, finally finds God's Love. What you need to remember is that God is not gentle. He is Harsh. He will punish you and break you. He will put the teeth from your mouth. He will destroy your family. But at the end of the day you will see clearly and beg for God's help and apologize for scorning Him.


              So, Curtis, do not waste your time begging for our forgiveness, rather Pray to God that, in His mercy, He will accept your pleas and maybe Save you from an eternity of suffering.


              YIC
              TT
              Isaiah 66:15

              For behold, the Lord wil come with fire, and with his charets like a whirlewinde, to render his anger with furie, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

              Comment

              • Vengeance Puriel
                Striving in vain for the good ol' corteous Edwardian grace
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2018
                • 324

                #37
                Re: I come in peace let's talk

                Originally posted by Didymus Much View Post
                Yes.

                Yes.



                Yes.

                The fact that it's a bannable offense (covered in the terms of service) and, in certain circumstances, a federal crime in the USA (unauthorized access to a computer system), does not physically preclude you from creating an alternate account.
                problem with that is I have a Job, a car and a Bible. Since turning 18 I have done nothing to warrant unauthorized access to computer systems. I would not be able to have my job. Where I use a Linux OS on an IBM computer, for my registers point of sale interface.
                -Ps 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
                -Ps 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
                -James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

                Comment

                • Vengeance Puriel
                  Striving in vain for the good ol' corteous Edwardian grace
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2018
                  • 324

                  #38
                  Re: I come in peace let's talk

                  Originally posted by Thomas Taylor View Post
                  Dear Curtis,


                  From the continuous espousement of your apologies and your begging for forgiveness, I see that you may have actually realised the error of your ways. It reminds me of a verse from Lamentations 3 in which God tells us of how a man who, having been totally and completely broken down by God, finally finds God's Love. What you need to remember is that God is not gentle. He is Harsh. He will punish you and break you. He will put the teeth from your mouth. He will destroy your family. But at the end of the day you will see clearly and beg for God's help and apologize for scorning Him.


                  So, Curtis, do not waste your time begging for our forgiveness, rather Pray to God that, in His mercy, He will accept your pleas and maybe Save you from an eternity of suffering.


                  YIC
                  TT
                  I have and I felt really terrible about how I acted up here. So I had to come make amends.
                  -Ps 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
                  -Ps 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
                  -James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

                  Comment

                  • Thomas Taylor
                    Forum Member
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • 1486

                    #39
                    Re: I come in peace let's talk

                    Originally posted by Vengeance Puriel View Post
                    I have and I felt really terrible about how I acted up here. So I had to come make amends.
                    Dear Curtis,


                    Now is the time to start making those ammends of which you speak.


                    Psalms 34:14 - Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.


                    This little verse always inspires me. I hope it inspires you too.


                    YIC
                    TT
                    Isaiah 66:15

                    For behold, the Lord wil come with fire, and with his charets like a whirlewinde, to render his anger with furie, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

                    Comment

                    • Basilissa
                      South of the Border outreach program
                      True Christian™
                       
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 12997

                      #40
                      Re: I come in peace let's talk

                      Originally posted by Vengeance Puriel View Post
                      I use a Linux OS on an IBM computer
                      Which Linux, Curtis? There are literally hundreds of distros. On a somewhat related note, are you aware of a reasonable GIS software, something that would open/edit ArcGis maps, that would run on Ubuntu 16.04? (I do have WINE, but I admit that using Windows-based software on WINE does lead to use of indecent language at times, so I'd prefer something that was actually designed for Debian-derived OS).

                      Anyway. I am glad to see you, as this time around you seem to be willing to be more accepting Jesus' Word as is, rather than as you would like it to be.

                      I hope you have found some time to review Dr. White's excellent treatise about the difference between living and dead trees. It was such a beautiful explanation.
                      God created fossils to test our faith.

                      * * *

                      My favorite LBC sermons:
                      True Christians are Perfect!
                      True Christian™ Love.
                      Salvation™ made Easy!
                      You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
                      Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
                      Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
                      Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
                      Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
                      The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
                      Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
                      God HATES Rational Thinking!
                      True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

                      Comment

                      • Vengeance Puriel
                        Striving in vain for the good ol' corteous Edwardian grace
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 2018
                        • 324

                        #41
                        Re: I come in peace let's talk

                        Originally posted by Basilissa View Post
                        Which Linux, Curtis? There are literally hundreds of distros. On a somewhat related note, are you aware of a reasonable GIS software, something that would open/edit ArcGis maps, that would run on Ubuntu 16.04? (I do have WINE, but I admit that using Windows-based software on WINE does lead to use of indecent language at times, so I'd prefer something that was actually designed for Debian-derived OS).

                        Anyway. I am glad to see you, as this time around you seem to be willing to be more accepting Jesus' Word as is, rather than as you would like it to be.

                        I hope you have found some time to review Dr. White's excellent treatise about the difference between living and dead trees. It was such a beautiful explanation.
                        I'm not sure which version. I perfer Ubuntu although I have not had time to test much after Fedora. I have been reading a lot in Revelation it talks 3 beasts, the beast that was, the beast that is, and the beast that always was (I think) what does that reference? It's in chapter 1.
                        -Ps 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
                        -Ps 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
                        -James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

                        Comment

                        • Elmer G. White
                          Distinguished Professor of Prayer Healing and Creation Zoology (Baraminology)
                          Victim of atheist scientific persecution
                           
                          • Apr 2014
                          • 10290

                          #42
                          Re: I come in peace let's talk

                          Originally posted by Vengeance Puriel View Post
                          I have been reading a lot in Revelation it talks 3 beasts, the beast that was, the beast that is, and the beast that always was (I think) what does that reference? It's in chapter 1.
                          Dear Friend,

                          Revelation 1 is about the vision of John and a description of Jesus, there is no mention of the beast.

                          Revelation 1:13-16

                          And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

                          Now, are you suggesting that this manifestation of Jesus is beastly? He utters the sentence that you're paraphrasing in a somewhat inappropriate manner.

                          Revelation 1:8
                          I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

                          As far as I know (and I know quite far) beasts appear in Chapter 5 as ζῷον (with the typical neuter plural ζῷα) and in Chapter 13 as θηρίον. Which one are you referring to? Please, if you wish to present your case as sincere, do the necessary preliminary work by actually checking the KJV before quoting it from your fallible memory.


                          Yours in Christ,

                          Elmer
                          2 Kings 18:25 - Am I now come up without the LORD against this place to destroy it? The LORD said to me, Go up against this land, and destroy it.



                          PREPARE YOURSELF TO RAPTURE WITH THIS MANUAL!
                          Check out our Research in Creation Science:

                          Comment

                          • handmaiden
                            Is a good, decent True Christian™ lady
                            True Christian™
                            • May 2010
                            • 11647

                            #43
                            Re: I come in peace let's talk

                            Originally posted by Dr Laurence Niles View Post
                            This!

                            In the same way the younger folks these days refer to paper as ‘a dead tree’.

                            This is evidence that Christianity is again on the rise: most likely due to the God appointed rise to prominence of Jesus’ Earthly choice for leader of the free world The Donald!

                            YIC
                            My thoughts go to the habit of referring to money as "bread" or "dough". What is meant with such an expression is that money is what is used to purchase the substances of bread and dough, which are needed to sustain life.


                            And of course, who could forget Jesus' words in the 35th verse of the Gospel according to John?


                            And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.


                            Is Jesus actually saying that he is made from flour and water and yeast? Of course not. He is telling us that His Personhood permanently fills the spiritual hunger and thirst within us.


                            Sometimes, the Bible uses poetic license. But not when it comes to sins that will get you sent to hell. When God declares something an abomination, He is not exaggerating for effect like when telling a redhead not to wear pink.


                            An assignment to the abomination bin is a command, not a suggestion, and there is nothing lyrical or equivocal about it. Sometimes, the Bible does not use poetry.


                            Ask our pastors if you are unclear about any given verse.
                            His left hand should be under my head, and his right hand should embrace me.

                            Guns For God and the Economy

                            Comment

                            • Dr Laurence Niles
                              Psychotheological Analyst Therapist
                               
                              • Jan 2012
                              • 9063

                              #44
                              Re: I come in peace let's talk

                              Originally posted by handmaiden View Post
                              And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.


                              Is Jesus actually saying that he is made from flour and water and yeast? Of course not. He is telling us that His Personhood permanently fills the spiritual hunger and thirst within us.
                              And that is why it is wrong to make cakes for the gaywise

                              It is literally calling Jesus metaphorically a homersexualist.

                              YIC
                              1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

                              Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

                              Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

                              Comment

                              • Vengeance Puriel
                                Striving in vain for the good ol' corteous Edwardian grace
                                Forum Member
                                • Jun 2018
                                • 324

                                #45
                                Re: I come in peace let's talk

                                Originally posted by Elmer G. White View Post
                                Dear Friend,

                                Revelation 1 is about the vision of John and a description of Jesus, there is no mention of the beast.

                                Revelation 1:13-16

                                And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

                                Now, are you suggesting that this manifestation of Jesus is beastly? He utters the sentence that you're paraphrasing in a somewhat inappropriate manner.

                                Revelation 1:8
                                I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

                                As far as I know (and I know quite far) beasts appear in Chapter 5 as ζῷον (with the typical neuter plural ζῷα) and in Chapter 13 as θηρίον. Which one are you referring to? Please, if you wish to present your case as sincere, do the necessary preliminary work by actually checking the KJV before quoting it from your fallible memory.


                                Yours in Christ,

                                Elmer
                                Revelations 17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition
                                -Ps 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
                                -Ps 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
                                -James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

                                Comment

                                Working...