X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven? No, you wouldn't.

In the song "Tears in Heaven," Eric Clapton asks, "Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?" The song betrays Clapton's lack of Bible knowledge in two ways. First, Clapton will not be going to heaven unless he accepts Jesus Christ as His Lord and Savior (and his son, who inspired the song, probably went to hell anyway). And second, we won't know each other's names in heaven.

For my daily devotional this morning I read Revelation 2:17 - He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. This is a beautiful verse. It promises that those of us who overcome this world and the flesh will be rewarded with a new name, a secret name. I don't know how we will communicate with each other in heaven if we don't know each other's names. "Hey you in the white robe!" But I'm sure God's got it all figured out.

So to answer Clapton's question, "Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?" No, you wouldn't.

It's hard to imagine having a better name than Alan Swallows, so whatever God's got in store for me must be really good. I wonder what kind of names we'll be given? What do people think?

Re: Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven? No, you wouldn't.

Brother Swallows, I really like the idea of calling each other "hey you!" I have serious trouble putting the correct name on each face of people I know. I know a lot of "hey yous" in this life and it will be rewarding to just call everyone this way in Heaven.
    God created fossils to test our faith.

My favorite LBC sermons:
    True Christians are Perfect!
    True Christian™ Love.
    Salvation™ made Easy!
    You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
    Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
    Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
    Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
    Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
    The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
    Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
    God HATES Rational Thinking!
    True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

Comment

We don't know anyone name in the heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmareact View Post
        We don't know anyone name in the heaven.
        What other incredible revelations would you like to share with us, dear? That salt is salty and sugar is sweet?
        God created fossils to test our faith.

My favorite LBC sermons:
        True Christians are Perfect!
        True Christian™ Love.
        Salvation™ made Easy!
        You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
        Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
        Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
        Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
        Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
        The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
        Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
        God HATES Rational Thinking!
        True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Swallows View Post
          I wonder what kind of names we'll be given? What do people think?
          I feel like the LORD has used my cheerful countenance to redeem the name Mary from the Catholics and the little whore who inspired their cult. Still, if He has a better name coming, then I know it will be exciting and inspiring!

Glory!

(I'm not entirely sure about eating the hidden manna though. I mean, how long will it have been hidden? If this is heaven, it will taste like a Michelin Five Star Restaurant, right? Even though it's just manna?)
          Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Swallows View Post
            For my daily devotional this morning I read Revelation 2:17 - He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
            It really is a lovely verse, Brother. It always makes me wonder, though, what is the point of someone having a name if only they know what it is? But I expect its purpose will be made clear. Do you think Jesus has a new, heavenly name too? Of course, only He will ever know that.

Mary, I think the point with manna is that it is fresh every day. Exodus 16:19-20 tells us that its shelf-life is very short.

It's all very exciting, isn't it? I can't wait!
            Vaccinated by the love of Jesus!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey View Post
              It really is a lovely verse, Brother. It always makes me wonder, though, what is the point of someone having a name if only they know what it is? But I expect its purpose will be made clear. Do you think Jesus has a new, heavenly name too? Of course, only He will ever know that.

Mary, I think the point with manna is that it is fresh every day. Exodus 16:19-20 tells us that its shelf-life is very short.

that is exciting, the Spirit of God reveals the deep things of God.so this mystery, God will surely tell us if we ask Him.I can only crave and imagine how beautiful the crown of life will be for everyone of us
              John chapter 15 verses 13-14
              Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

Comment

Originally posted by Collinslaw View Post
                that is exciting, the Spirit of God reveals the deep things of God.so this mystery, God will surely tell us if we ask Him.I can only crave and imagine how beautiful the crown of life will be for everyone of us
                Not everyone surely.

The gaywise won’t be there. And a good thing too!

YIC
                1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Comment

I used to hear this song a lot, and I have never think of it that way. Your interpretation is one of a kind, and I must say that I do agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Laurence Niles View Post
                    Not everyone surely.

The gaywise won’t be there. And a good thing too!

YIC
                    yes,brotherNot everyone will accept Jesus even though I would have love it happened that way
                    John chapter 15 verses 13-14
                    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

Comment

Originally posted by Joanna Lytton-Vasey View Post

Exodus 16:20 Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto Moses; but some of them left of it until the morning, and it bred worms, and stank: and Moses was wroth with them.

We think of a day as being determined by the sun. Candles could be marked off, so many hours between sunset and sunrise, and the manna sent into our reality from Heaven needed to be sorted before sunrise. Heaven is more real than what we have here. For example this world will end but Heaven does not end. Another difference is that there's no sun in Heaven: it's one of the things that will end. With no measure of time as applied to manna for it to engender worms how likely is it to stink up Heaven?

Not everywhere is worm free, though.
                      Mark 9:47-48 If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Hell contains worms aplenty, they never die and are likely to gnaw. Candles would melt almost immediately but there are no candles required in Heaven. Since such different conditions apply in those three places, manna in Heaven could be consumed at one's leisure. Hell is very unlikely to serve manna because even the heat of daylight was enough to make it melt; with molten brimstone everywhere it would fare even worse than candles. God does not say whether He made fresh manna 24-hourly or had a storehouse available: perhaps that's a question for The Pastors.
                      Revelation 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

H̗̜͔̙͙̦̮ͅE̞̜̜̜͚̤ ͚̗S̥͚̟̹̙̣͇̟̘Ẹ͕̺̬̫̻N̗̦T̙͇̦̞̭ ͍̯̜ͅD͉̯̯̖͉̪O̖̤̻͉̤W̗N͓̻̪͖̳̰ ̹̮ͅM̞͙͕̣̤̠̱̦̳A̰͈N͈̼̼̱̗͈͕̣̲N͉̳̼̪̱A̪̰ ̖̰̮͇̠̞͚F̪̞̣̟̘R͍͓O͇̖M̫̫̣̼̳ͅ ͖̭̣H̻͕̬̜E̖͈͓A͓̤̩̪͇V̮͕̬̙E̟̼̙̱͕̭N͉̥̬̗̟͓̝͙ ͓̻̰ ̭̝͇̗̯͔̺P͓̝̜R̫͖̞̼̬̟̣͚A̖͙̘̞I͈̙͈̺S͔͖E̦̣ ̼̩̳H͉͉̩̳̘I͎̙̟M͚̮̯ ͈̥̼̣̻̙͉̲F͇̦͇̲̖̝O̟̬R͖̥̰̰̟E͔̖̣̝̮͎V̩͖͔̲E̘̮̭̗R̬̮ ̞͔̗̤̥̖̗̙̤M̩̺ͅỌ̮͖̭͖̦̪R̝̩͉̝̬E̜̳̺

Comment

Working...
                      X