• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Follow the Word of God, not your "conscience"

Originally posted by drewwhiteddc View Post
    Alright, I had to comment on this.
    Hi, Drew, and to our forum!

It is beyond unbelievably absolutely ridiculous. This must be a joke. Seriously?! The initial post made by Pastor Billy-Reuben is beyond ridiculous and offensive, and it totally misrepresents the bible. I have read the bible all the way through and studied it almost with obsession.
    I look forward towards a civilized discussion, then.

I have also been baptized with the holy spirit and have seen that cessationism is not only a lie, but is not supported with scripture anywhere whereas continuism is everywhere in scripture.
    I will admit this is a bit above my pay grade (being just a lowly female). This is all I know about speaking in tongues:

1 Corinthians 14:27-28
    27 If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret.
    28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

So that tells me it's OK to speak in unknown tongues as long as it does not disrupt the services at church, but rather done quietly at home, where the speaker is not bothering anyone.

After all:

1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that [by my voice] I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an [unknown] tongue.

So I don't think we disagree on this subject - especially since I don't see anything in Pastor Billy Reuben's post about speaking in tongues nobody can understand?

The Holy Spirit is alive and we can talk to Him as an extra guide that doesn't contradict scripture but rather affirms it (as far as I know there is no exception to this).
    Exactly. If there's anything contradicting the Holy Bible, it's coming from the devil, not from the Holy Bible.

These are the points that I find untenable in the initial argument (I'll state them clearly and go into detail if need be). First off, at quick glance, I don't see Deuteronomy 29:19-20 as someone elevating their conscience above the law of God, but rather someone who willfully sins against God while knowing better.
    I'm not following, how these two interpretations differ from one another?

Also, I think your arguments on men having dominion over women are definitely wrongly interpreted, based on the ancient Greek and the context.
    Please do enlighten me, how do you "correctly" interpret the following verses, then:

1 Timothy 2:11-15
    11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Ephesians 5:22-24
    22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
    23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
    24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing.

the law of Moses was fulfilled by Jesus and we are not required to kill those who disagree.
    How about what Jesus said about His enemies?

Matthew 10:34-36
    34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
    35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
    36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Luke 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Did this happen ANYWHERE after the law of Moses was fulfilled in the New Testament? The sword Jesus brought was to put families against each other that is rather clear if you read the rest of that chapter (kind of like how Muslims have that happen today).
    It is quite clear, especially if you take under account all of the religious wars started by Christians against unbelievers of all sorts (including false Christians).

The rape of a virgin female in the Old Testament must be understood in context to their society, and that if the man continued being wicked, his life would probably be in danger with the rest of the law. The other rape things you say are not in scripture and are crazy! Numbers 31 never mentions rape,
    Numbers 31:17-18
    17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
    18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Rape of these slave girls is not specified but implied by other parts of the Law (e.g., Exodus 21:7-8, which describes conditions under which a father can sell his daughter as a sex slave).

and Dt. 22:23-24 never mentions how loud she screams at my glance!
    Your Bible must be very different from my Bible:

Deuteronomy 22:23-24
    23 If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
    24 Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.

If the girl was not heard, that means she didn't cry at all or did not cry loud enough. Either way, she deserves to die.

We are to obey our conscience and not violate it as taught by Paul's words! Also, we re-educate our conscience according to scripture.
    Yes. All Scripture:

Matthew 5:17-18
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

We are still living under the Old Testament law, and we have no right to change one jot of it.

We can't take verses out of context!
    Indeed!

I will pray for you.
    God created fossils to test our faith.

My favorite LBC sermons:
    True Christians are Perfect!
    True Christian™ Love.
    Salvation™ made Easy!
    You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
    Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
    Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
    Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
    Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
    The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
    Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
    God HATES Rational Thinking!
    True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

Comment

I just have a couple of points.
      Originally posted by drewwhiteddc View Post
      The Holy Spirit is alive and we can talk to Him as an extra guide that doesn't contradict scripture but rather affirms it (as far as I know there is no exception to this).
      The problem arises when your guide DOES contradict Scripture.

…someone who willfully sins against God while knowing better.
      You see my problem with your opening here is WHAT ABOUT SOMEONE WHO WILFULLY SINS AGAINST GOD WHILE NOT KNOWING BETTER? Usually I'd use the example of a cannibal living in cannibal land and following cannibal culture. That would seem to apply here so I'll stick with it. Looking forward to your reply, please do not use words like "cessationism" which are not Scriptural and therefore irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastor Billy-Reuben View Post
        Here are some examples of things that conscience and empathy tell me are wrong, but the Bible states that as being ok:
        • If I relied on my own empathy and conscience, I would probably conclude that genocide is wrong. However, the Bible lists many stories where the LORD commands genocide. (Deuteronomy 7:1-6 - Brick Testament - Instructions for Genocide)
        • If I relied on my own empathy and conscience, I would probably conclude that slavery is wrong. However, the Bible clearly condones slavery. (Titus 2:9-10; Ephesians 6:5; 1 Timothy 6:1)
        • If I relied on my own empathy and conscience, I would probably conclude that peace is good and war is wrong, but the Bible says that the LORD is a man of war (Exodus 15:3), and that Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a sword (Matthew 10:34).

I would also have been likely to come to several incorrect conclusions about the morality of rape.
        • If I relied on my own empathy and conscience, I would probably conclude that rape was always wrong, and that it is one of the worst crimes a person could commit against another. The Bible does indeed prescribe the death penalty for the unsanctioned rape of a betrothed woman. However, the Biblical penalty for the unsanctioned rape of an unbetrothed female is a mere slap on the wrist. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29, Brick Testament).
        • I would also have been likely to come the the conclusion that in all rape cases, only the rapist was guilty guilty of wrong-doing. However, the Bible tells me that if the "victim" fails to cry out, then it is because she enjoyed it. In these cases, it is fornication, not rape, and the so-called "rapist" and "victim" are equally guilty. According to the Bible, "no" only really means "no" when she cries out loudly for help. (Dt. 22:23-24)
        • Further, I would have never imagined that there would ever be a time that rape would be considered a good thing. I would have been grievously wrong, because God often commands his Christian soldiers to rape the virgin women of a village after they have killed all the men, boys, and non-virgin women (Numbers 31 - Brick Testament).

Friends, what the Word of God says and what your conscience tell you will frequently be in conflict. Being saved and having faith means ignoring your conscience and following Jesus, Amen.
        I am giving this thread another gentle bump because it is as relevant as when it was written over a decade ago. Indeed, Biblical morality often stands at odds with modern so-called "ethics" or even the modern-era notions of "common sense." Nonetheless, those who want to be Saved™ need to follow the Word of God 100%... because the alternative is Hell:

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

My favorite LBC sermons:
        True Christian™ Love.
        Salvation™ made Easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Basilissa View Post
          I am giving this thread another gentle bump because it is as relevant as when it was written over a decade ago. Indeed, Biblical morality often stands at odds with modern so-called "ethics" or even the modern-era notions of "common sense." Nonetheless, those who want to be Saved™ need to follow the Word of God 100%... because the alternative is Hell:

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
          Someone needs to remind Michael Steele, the former chair of the Republican National Committee, just why it's a good idea for him to mind his place in Jesus' World. He clearly doesn't understand faith and trust like we do, Sister Bas. Rather than trust God is in control, he's ranting like a lunatic about those who uncompromisingly preach God's Word:

“I have a very simple admonition at this point,” Steele said on “Hardball” on MSNBC. “Just shut the hell up and don’t ever preach to me about anything ever again. I don’t want to hear it.”

Steele added:

“After telling me how to live my life, who to love, what to believe, what not to believe, what to do and what not to do and now you sit back and the prostitutes don’t matter? The grabbing the you-know-what doesn’t matter? The outright behavior and lies don’t matter? Just shut up.”
          https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0e5630074aa39

That's pretty stupid if you ask me, to tell men of God to shut up because you don't like how they serve the LORD of Creation.
          Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

Comment

Whenever I think that killing little children and babies is unconscionable, I remind myself how many times God did it, ordered it, or waxed poetic about it and that pesky little voice in the back of my brain shuts right up. Praise Jesus!
            His left hand should be under my head, and his right hand should embrace me.

Guns For God and the Economy

Comment

I felt like divorce for several years. But luckily I obeyed Exodus 20:14: Thou shalt not commit adultery.

About the food laws however, that's another thing. And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him; because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats? (Mark 7:18-19)

I thank my Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
              Ecclesiastes 5:3b "A fool's voice is known by multitude of words."

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Stanford View Post
                I felt like divorce for several years. But luckily I obeyed Exodus 20:14: Thou shalt not commit adultery.
                You should read the Bible a bit more carefully, dear. Divorce is not adultery. In fact, adultery is the main reason why divorce is allowed.

...Marrying someone divorced, now, that's a totally different story:

Matthew 19:9 - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

While you do seem quite prolific, my suggestion is to do a little bit less of writing and video posting, and much more of Bible reading.

I hope this was helpful, dear.

My favorite LBC sermons:
                True Christian™ Love.
                Salvation™ made Easy!

Comment

I felt like divorce for several years. But luckily I obeyed Exodus 20:14: Thou shalt not commit adultery...
                  Read the whole Bible before you go telling others what it says, thanks.

Divorce =/= adultery (unless you're a woman).

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Romans 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to [her] husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of [her] husband.

Mark 10:12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

...About the food laws however, that's another thing...
                  What food laws do you think Landover follows?

Comment

Originally posted by Didymus Much View Post
                    Read the whole Bible before you go telling others what it says, thanks.

Divorce =/= adultery (unless you're a woman).

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Romans 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to [her] husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of [her] husband.

Mark 10:12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

What food laws do you think Landover follows?
                    But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)

Thanks for your help, yours and Basilissa's, you both made me sound pretty legalistic. But I would not ignore 2nd Timothy 5:8:
                    But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Do I want to be worse than unbeliever? Of course not.

But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. (1st Corinthians 7:12-14)
                    Ecclesiastes 5:3b "A fool's voice is known by multitude of words."

Comment

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)...
                      That involves adultery, yes, but not divorce, which is the subject at hand.

...But I would not ignore 2nd Timothy 5:8:
                      But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel....
                      You safely could in this case because it's not relevant. Divorce is deciding whether she's part of the household you're responsible for.

...(1st Corinthians 7:12-14)
                      Paul summarizes himself more clearly in one sentence in 1 Corinthians 7:15, but that's still not relevant.

Why were you considering divorce? Was she unfaithful, to you or God? The Bible says you're allowed to divorce in those cases, and re-marry (if you're male).

Comment

Originally posted by Pastor Billy-Reuben View Post
                        However, the Bible clearly states that I should hate my family if I want to follow Jesus. (Luke 14:26; Matthew 10:21, 35-37)
                        And what about me? I have no family. My mother died in December 2018, my father already two months before that. So I cannot hate them

Comment

Originally posted by JakubDovac View Post
                          And what about me? I have no family. My mother died in December 2018, my father already two months before that. So I cannot hate them
                          Who told you that you cannot have feelings towards people who are already dead?

My favorite LBC sermons:
                          True Christian™ Love.
                          Salvation™ made Easy!

Comment

Do you mean like the feelings we have for Stalin or bin-Laden?

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy B. View Post
                              Amen!

I am Blessed to teach elementary school children in a committed Christian school. These are the very lessons our entire educational curriculum is inspired by. It does no child any favor to let them grow up thinking society's standards are important. Children are so easily led astray since they believe adults no matter what. God's standards are the only ones they need to worry about and we make sure that lesson sinks in deeply. No child in my school will ever hear that having two mommies is anything but dangerous to the mommies, the children, and the entire community in which that family lives. No child in my school will ever hear feminist agenda with its lies about being able to do anything she wants. We don't have to worry about offending the secular god of political correctness. We only need to concern ourselves with how we can serve God. We have a very Godly idea of what it means to have No Child Left Behind!
                              Good one sister, its important we raised our children the way of God both in school and at home. Perhaps children should be brought from all these godless orphanages and also taught about the truth of Jesus and made a great work man of Jesus, alleluia!
                              2 Timothy 2:15
                              Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
                              John chapter 15 verses 13-14
                              Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

Comment

Who said that free speech should be forbidden? Jesus disagrees.

Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. Matthew 15:14

Everyone is free to state his/her opinion. Doesn't mean they are right. Everyone reaps what he sows.

And I will confess, I was born in Minneapolis, but sadly that is a rather blue country. My father is Czech. I moved there to teach them about the truth.

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Matthew 28:19

Comment

Working...
                                X