X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bill O'Reilly OWNS Atheist: "You can't explain the tides!"

Originally posted by JJTruth View Post
    LMAO, really... keep living in that world... LMAO

The age of the Earth has been determined to be 4.54 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).This age is based on evidence from radiometric age (often called radioactive dating) of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples.

I'm sorry your dad made you drop out of school when you were in the first grade, I'm sure he didn't want you to know the truth...

by the way, Santa Claus is not real...

Also, everything is made of Atoms, just in case you skip that part of the school lesson...
    Back er down a notch sport, Santa is a Catlik thing. We deal in the real world not some made up fantasy. You need to get a grip on reality, God created the tides.

Comment

LMAO, really... keep living in that world... LMAO

The age of the Earth has been determined to be 4.54 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).This age is based on evidence from radiometric age (often called radioactive dating) of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples.

I'm sorry your dad made you drop out of school when you were in the first grade, I'm sure he didn't want you to know the truth...

by the way, Santa Claus is not real...

Also, everything is made of Atoms, just in case you skip that part of the school lesson...
      Not sure who you're talking to, but I have a BBA and a BSc, but I'm sure that they're from more "redneck schools" since they were accredited universities.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why you people can just follow what people say blindly. I sat in those classes with my mouth shut, I regurgitated everything they said because I wanted the degrees, but in my heart I knew it was garbage.
      Drama queen

Comment

Oh God, I laugh at you guys... The tides are moved by the gravitational force between the Earth, Sun and Moon... Look it up...

I don't know where you guys went to school, but we learn this in 5th grade how the tides are moved...
        So then why is it your David Silverfish Silverman, President of American Atheists, couldn't offer such a simple explanation?

He's one of your Great Leaders, you follow him blindly and send your money to American Atheists, and yet he can't explain your "the moon, herp derp" explanation to O'Reilly?

He can't even get his story straight, how pathetic is that?

Personally, I think Silverman is the atheist version of a Poe. He works overtime to make atheists look even MORE stupid, petty, and hateful than they actually are, so Christians know that all atheists are evil, intolerant monsters that must be destroyed.

I mean, this is his idea of "outreach":

And he put it up in ALABAMA! Why would he do that, if not to make Christians despise his organization and raise funds for the War on Atheism?

Maybe I will send them a donation. They could put up a billboard in North Salem . . .
        Bible boring? Nonsense!
        Try Bible in a Year with Brother V, or join Shirlee and the kids as they discuss Real Bible Stories!
        You can't be a Christian if you don't know God's Word!

Comment

Originally posted by Oakland "Reb" Griner View Post
          When God created the earth 6000 years ago, when he poured the waters into the oceans they naturally sloshed a little bit, just like the water in your bath tub does when you get in. 6000 years later, the seas are still sloshing a bit, and they will continue to do so for a very long time. The sloshing in your bathtub dies out quickly because the bath tub is so small, the oceans are HUGE, the sloshing will last a long time.
          This is the proper explanation for the tides, unlike the preposterous theory that the moon is somehow involved. Here are three glaring mistakes in the secular scientist's thinking which makes their precious theory fall apart.

1) How can the moon pull water away from the Earth when the Earth has a stronger gravitational pull? One thing that these secularist idiots kept saying in the 3 experiments thread is that the the Earth is a sphere and gravity pulls everything towards the center. Okay, for argument's sake, let's assume that crazy idea is true. So if the Earth, which is much more massive and stronger than the moon, is pulling water towards its center, how can the moon overcome it? We know the Earth is stronger because the moon revolves around us (according to their theory). If the moon was strong enough to create tides, it would mean that the Earth would have to be revolving around the moon. No secular scientist would admit that.

2) How can the moon overcome the sun's gravity, when the sun is even stronger than the Earth? This just gets even more absurd. The Earth is stronger than the moon, but the Sun is stronger than the Earth. How the heck could the tides be created by the moon and not the sun? The scientists will say "Well because it's only 280,000 miles away." (It's actually only about 500). But okay, even at that, it would be the same idea presented in the first question: We would be revolving around the moon if that were the case.

3) If the moon is strong enough to pull water from a far-away planet, how come there is an absence of gravity on the moon?
          It cannot contain an atmosphere, and if the Apollo hoax is to be believed, you can jump around like bunny rabbits on pogo sticks. The moon is so weak in gravity it can't even hold a 200 lb man to the surface, let alone weightless air particles. Yet, yet, this same object is somehow able to pull billions and billions of cubic tons of water, hundreds of thousand of miles away, and beat the gravitational field of the Earth!

The problem with the above three mistakes is they try to have it both ways in gravity. If object A is more powerful than B, A will exert influence on B, but not the other way around. A smaller object cannot affect a larger object. They say if you jump out of an airplane, it's the Earth's gravity pulling a smaller object (you) to the ground. Well, why don't we affect the Earth's gravity? Why don't we push the Earth back?

The only logical conclusion is that
          • The Earth is flat, like the Bible says.
          • The Sun and Moon are both nearby and small objects, about 500 miles away, which revolve around the Earth
          • Tides are caused by the Bathtub Theory.

Watch the #1 Televangelist Gospel Hour in the World! "Turn or Burn: Accept Christ or Go to Hell with Rev. Jim Osborne." Check your local cable listings.

Comment

I always thought the tides were caused by the wind blowing the water on-shore.
            May you be a blessing to every life you touch.

Comment

Here is more for for thought on the subject. Turns out Bill O'Reilly has been using this argument for a while. Here is Stephen Colbert's analysis:

"And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." - Judges 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Rev. Jim Osborne View Post
                1) How can the moon pull water away from the Earth when the Earth has a stronger gravitational pull?
                Plus, quite simply, if "the moon can pull water away from the Earth," then why is there no water on the moon?

It's the very "scientists" who cobble together this claptrap that went to the moon and reported there was no water there. They had to bring water with them to drink!

Comment

Originally posted by InvisiblePinkUnicorn View Post
                  Here is more for for thought on the subject. Turns out Bill O'Reilly has been using this argument for a while. Here is Stephen Colbert's analysis:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...xrs=share_copy
                  The fact that Bill O'Reilly repeats the same argument over and over just proves that it is more believable. If he said it only once or twice, it wouldn't have the same conviction.

(Billy Bob: I approve this post.)
                  1 Corinthians 11:3
                  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Property of Billy Bob Jenkins

Comment

Originally posted by Nobar King View Post
                    I always thought the tides were caused by the wind blowing the water on-shore.
                    Good point.

And what about the thousands of people and animals and motorboats that swim in the ocean daily? Do the scientists think that has zero effect?

They leave waves in their wake.

Comment

It's really quite pathetic to see the fumbling explanations of "scientists" and people on this forum taking a guess at explaining the mystery. We KNOW it is God's doing. END OF STORY.

You can't explain away God with your fancy talk and invisible gravitational forces. The so-called explanations are just Satan spreading doubt and confusion, do not fall for this old old trick.

Comment

Gotta say I am pretty shocked at the total lack of scientific understanding in this thread. I'll respond to the questions of one of the posters here to give you guys an idea how tides work:

1) How can the moon pull water away from the Earth when the Earth has a stronger gravitational pull?

You're right, Earth's gravity is stronger than the moon's - and the moon's gravity does not overcome the Earth's. If it did, water would float up to the moon. Instead, the moon's gravity only slightly counteracts Earth's gravity, causing the effective gravity on Earth's surface to be slightly weaker nearest the moon and stronger on other parts of Earth's surface. This causes a water 'bulge' which causes tides as the Earth rotates.

2) How can the moon overcome the sun's gravity, when the sun is even stronger than the Earth?

The sun does have an effect on tides, but a weaker one than the moon. This is because, as you suggested, the sun is so far away (NOT 500 miles!!! Seriously???) This distance means the sun's gravity, as felt from the Earth and moon, is pretty small.

3) If the moon is strong enough to pull water from a far-away planet, how come there is an absence of gravity on the moon?

The moon does have gravity, and it is most strongly felt on the moon's surface. Considering how weak the gravity is on the surface, it may seem surprising that the moon's gravity could have such a major impact on Earth's water. But the moon's gravity isn't actually all that weak. Too weak to hold an atmosphere, yes, but an atmosphere escapes to space pretty easily, given that it's made up of particles with such small mass. Even the Earth is slowly losing its atmosphere, although over a very long period of time. The astronauts were able to jump much higher on the moon, but nowhere even close to escape velocity, so there was definitely a significant amount of gravity.

The problem with the above three mistakes is they try to have it both ways in gravity. If object A is more powerful than B, A will exert influence on B, but not the other way around. A smaller object cannot affect a larger object. They say if you jump out of an airplane, it's the Earth's gravity pulling a smaller object (you) to the ground. Well, why don't we affect the Earth's gravity? Why don't we push the Earth back?

You're right, it's called Newton's Third Law. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When you jump out of a plane, the Earth pulls you down, but you're also pulling the Earth up. But since you are so much smaller than the Earth, you hardly have any of your own gravity and hardly pull the Earth up at all (just an insignificant amount). So yes, a small object does affect a large object, but to a smaller degree than the large object affects the small object. Even the Earth does pull the sun around a little tiny bit as it orbits around it.

Comment

No-one cares about your false God Newt Gingrich. He can have 100 laws for all I care, there are already the 10 Commandments and that's plenty for me. Take your pagan rules and worship the moon or whatever it is you do on your way to eternal damnation.

Comment

Originally posted by fritz_griffith View Post
                            BUNCH OF CRAZY STUFF, TL;DR
                            Why do you hate God?

Didn't you hear what Bill O'Reilly said? "Tide goes in. Tide Goes Out...NEVER A MISCOMMUNICATION!"

We are talking about communication here, just as Bill said. There is communication going on and it is NEVER wrong! The tides happen right on time every time!
                            Yours In Christ,

Gabriel Reproba, Esq. (Lawyer for the Lord)

Further reading to help you become a True Christian™

Stoning Sinners: A How-To Guide
                            Scientific Study: Bible is NOT "All About Love"
                            The One Sin Jesus Says He Won't EVER Forgive!
                            Should we only follow SOME of the Bible?
                            How will YOU sacrifice your kids?
                            20 Questions To See If Your Son Is A Fag
                            God: Dress Like A Whore...Get Raped!
                            Bible: If You Love Your Wife, Beat Her!
                            Logic and Bible Agree: Gay is a choice!
                            Nursery Rhymes Teach kids that Christ is Lord!
                            There is no such thing as an "agnostic!"
                            Science: People are Only Islamic Because They are Depressed!

Reading only the parts of the Bible your pastor tells you to (those that make you feel warm and fuzzy) is nothing but mental and spiritual masturbation. Read the WHOLE Bible to find out what Christianity is REALLY all about! Only then can you talk to us about why we try so hard to save people from Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by fritz_griffith View Post
                              Gotta say I am pretty shocked at the total lack of scientific understanding in this thread. I'll respond to the questions of one of the posters here to give you guys an idea how tides work:

You're right, Earth's gravity is stronger than the moon's - and the moon's gravity does not overcome the Earth's. If it did, water would float up to the moon. Instead, the moon's gravity only slightly counteracts Earth's gravity, causing the effective gravity on Earth's surface to be slightly weaker nearest the moon and stronger on other parts of Earth's surface. This causes a water 'bulge' which causes tides as the Earth rotates.

2) How can the moon overcome the sun's gravity, when the sun is even stronger than the Earth?

The sun does have an effect on tides, but a weaker one than the moon. This is because, as you suggested, the sun is so far away (NOT 500 miles!!! Seriously???) This distance means the sun's gravity, as felt from the Earth and moon, is pretty small.

The moon does have gravity, and it is most strongly felt on the moon's surface. Considering how weak the gravity is on the surface, it may seem surprising that the moon's gravity could have such a major impact on Earth's water. But the moon's gravity isn't actually all that weak. Too weak to hold an atmosphere, yes, but an atmosphere escapes to space pretty easily, given that it's made up of particles with such small mass. Even the Earth is slowly losing its atmosphere, although over a very long period of time. The astronauts were able to jump much higher on the moon, but nowhere even close to escape velocity, so there was definitely a significant amount of gravity.

You're right, it's called Newton's Third Law. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When you jump out of a plane, the Earth pulls you down, but you're also pulling the Earth up. But since you are so much smaller than the Earth, you hardly have any of your own gravity and hardly pull the Earth up at all (just an insignificant amount). So yes, a small object does affect a large object, but to a smaller degree than the large object affects the small object. Even the Earth does pull the sun around a little tiny bit as it orbits around it.
                              Again nothing provable beyond conjecture.

What are you going to do for your next trick?
                              Prove that theist fish believe in Cod?

Comment

Bill O'Reilly is a soldier for Christ! I pray that one day he kicks the pope in the ass and becomes a Christian!
                                -The Parable of the white laundry and the black man
                                -Scientific proof that GAY SEX IS UNHYGIENIC!
                                -Holocaust Jokes
                                -Diarrhea: The Va​ginal Lubrication of the Homosexuals
                                -Anne Frank vs. Adolf Hitler: Who was the worse person?
                                -10 Reasons why GOD HATES FRANCE!
                                -5 Reasons why GOD HATES LEAGUE OF LEGENDS!
                                -Today I am declaring War against Woman's Rights!

Comment

Working...
                                X